Please sign in to post.

Germany/Switzerland June 2020

Hi,
I am trying to plan a trip this June for my family (myself, husband, 17, 15 boys). I think we might fly in/out of Munich and Zurich. Any tips or suggestions on good trips within Switzerland? We are planning a few days in Munich and the surrounding areas and work our way to Switzerland and Zurich (or reverse order depending on flights.) We would prefer to use the train systems and not rent a car unless we need to. We have about 10 days, not including flight days. I have been reading the Zurich isn't the best city, but we are thinking Munich and Zurich because we can fly direct from home into these cities.

We are an active family and like the outdoors and would like to experience European history as well.

Thanks!
Suzanne

Posted by
768 posts

You shouldn't need a car, and it can often get in the way. One reason, though, might be to save money on travel. However, in this case you could save money by taking the bus between Munich and Zurich. In some cases it is an hour faster, and for 4 people it is MUCH cheaper. Google Flixbus Munich Zurich.
I have taken teenage boy to these areas. If you go over towards Salzburg, they liked going to Hitler's Hideout at Berchtesgaden and the ice cave at Werfen. ( https://www.eisriesenwelt.at/en/ )
We spent the most time hiking around Lauterbrunnen. Show your boys the pics below and see what they think:

www.lauterbrunnenhiking.wordpress.com

Posted by
1075 posts

My kids LOVED Switzerland - definitely do what Shoe says and get to the Lauterbrunnen area. We stayed in Murren, but others stay in Wengen, Gimmelwald, or Lauterbrunnen. Read Rick's Switzerland book--it's super helpful. The hiking and general mountain frolicking are unparalleled. Zurich is about a 2 hour-ish train ride from the Berner Oberland. Definitely spend as much time as possible up in the Alps instead of the lower parts of Switzerland.