Please sign in to post.

Geneva to Zurich

My fiancé and I are flying into Geneva in September and will be spending 6 days in Switzerland. We will be flying out of Zurich. What cities do you suggest we center our time in Switzerland around? Our initial thought was to stay in Montreaux for one night before making our way to the Interlaken region. We also plan on spending a night in Zurich.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Posted by
8889 posts

Do not spend your time in cities. Switzerland is famous for mountains, not cities. As soon as you land, go direct to the rail station at the airport, and catch a train to somewhere in the Berner Oberland (Interlaken region). Ditto at the end, skip Zürich if you can and add another night in the mountains.

Posted by
7209 posts

Chris is correct...Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen are destinations in the BO. You could also spend a night or two in Lucerne which is definitely a beautiful city with a medieval city center located on the Lake Lucerne. You can take the boats from Lucerne to the various destinations including Weggis and Vitznau to see the beautiful lake country.

Geneva would be on the bottom of my Swiss Destination places to see.

Posted by
16895 posts

If you spend a night in Montreux, I assume that's with the intention of maybe visiting Chateau de Chillon on your arrival day and taking the Golden Pass scenic rail route (4 hours) toward Interlaken the next day.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the suggestions! Our initial thought was to spend a night in Montreaux to see Chateau de Chillon on our arrival day, but now I am thinking otherwise. I like the idea of taking the train straight to the BO region and centering our trip in the surrounding areas. When we go on vacation, we like to try different activities (kayaking, canoeing, hiking, etc). I assume these areas have plenty of that?

Posted by
7209 posts

The BO is the center of outdoor enthusiasts' activities from gentle walks to base jumping from the most vertical of cliffs to green/blue mineral water rapids to the gentle waves of the crystal clear lakes. There's something for everyone there.