Please sign in to post.

Geneva to Gruyeres? Train and ?

Please, is it possible to travel by train from Geneva to Gruyeres? Once you arrive at the Gruyeres train station, how do you get up to the town with your luggage? Thanks so much!

Posted by
27047 posts

There are departures from Geneva on the hour. They all take very close to 2 hours, and they all involve train-bus-S-Bahn. I don't know exactly what the S-Bahn is--tram? local train?

This webpage lists several ways for getting up the hill: https://wikitravel.org/en/Gruyeres. There might also be a taxi waiting at the station.

Posted by
1548 posts

It's less than a mile uphill. There's a regular bus or plump for a taxi.

I did Gruyeres from Bern many years ago, it's a nice little place. The castle is worth a visit, so is Fribourg close by if you have the time.

Posted by
9099 posts

If you do decide to walk up to Gruyeres, don't follow the road up to the top. It takes a very windy path up. Instead take the easy hiking path up, it's a more direct route; you will see the trail sign across from the train station.

Posted by
7209 posts

We did this last year from Geneva. It’s a nice little day trip. Personally I would not want to spend more than a few hours there. I know there are hotels there, but what do you do there for more than a few hours?

Posted by
8889 posts

acraven, S-Bahn is the name in German speaking areas for a frequent regular interval city and commuter railway. It often goes through the centre and out the other side again.
S-Bahn = Stadtschnellbahn = Urban Express Railway.
Lines are usually numbered, S1, S2 etc.

In Paris and other French-speaking cities this is called "RER" (= Réseau Express Régional = Regional Express Network)
There is not really a common English generic term for this. In London, the north-south Thameslink route, and the hopefully-soon-to-be-opened East-West Crossrail are S-Bahn/RER.

Posted by
27047 posts

Thank you. I've used the S-Bahn in Berlin but still didn't know exactly what to call it.

Posted by
62 posts

We were in Guryeres last August for 3 nights and only used public transportation. There's a bus stop at the train station, the schedule closely coordinates with trains arriving at the station. We didn't have a problem bringing our luggage on board. We could've walked up the hill (we travel lite) but it was raining when we arrived. Have a great trip, we loved our time there!

Posted by
7209 posts

As for all public transport in Switzerland you can see exact schedules of all forms of transport at www.sbb.ch/en