Please sign in to post.

Geneva

I will be on a 60 day auto road trip as of Aug.15. My flight arrives in Geneva at 6PM. I was planning to stay in Geneva for two nights to get over jet lag and relax but Rick seems to have a low opinion of Geneva to the point that he does not have hotel recomendations for Geneva. Getting off the plane after a long flight from SFO and driving to Lausanne is not a good plan. Your thougts ?

Posted by
8124 posts

it is more a business meeting town; any of the hotels by the airport should be fine to relax; one good thing is all the hotels you stay at in Geneva will issue you a free transit card to get around town on public transport if you want to explore it

Posted by
7209 posts

A 60 day "auto" road trip? Driving in European cities is generically not a good idea. But the fact that Switzerland has one of the best public transport systems (efficient, clean) in the world is reason number 2 not to drive. The rail station is just steps from the Geneva Airport so you just land, jump on the train and head to wherever you want to go. Geneva is not my favorite place either - not the quintessential "Swiss" experience you may be looking for. Some of the most beautiful places in Switzerland are not accessible by car.

Posted by
3398 posts

I really enjoy Geneva! If you can find a place in the middle of the old city then I would think it's a great place to relax for a day or so while you readjust your internal clock. The cathedral is very interesting (including the 2000 years of excavations underneath), the winding streets are full of antiquarian book and art dealers, and the waterfront is nice to walk along. Great restaurants! I have never understood Rick's low opinion of Geneva - it's a nice city. Not a ton of touristy activities to do but I would personally stay there a couple of days if it was just to relax. You have two months to see stuff! A couple of days at the beginning to prepare and regroup don't require a plethora of tourist activities.

Posted by
768 posts

Geneva is fine for a day or two. I used to live there.
You can visit the Red Cross Museum, Calvin's Church in Old Town, the flower clock, CERN nuclear collider, rent free bikes, even take a day trip via bus to Chamonix, France. Walking around will clear your jet lag faster than driving will.
I also recommend the city tour that explains the history of Swiss independence, neutrality, and banking.
You get a free day bus pass from your hotel, and when you arrive at the airport from USA, look for the free 1 hr bus pass as you exit the luggage area.

Posted by
16895 posts

Direct trains from Geneve airport to Lausanne run a few times per hour and take 45-55 minutes.