Please sign in to post.

Geneva???

We are traveling from Paris to Leysin Switzerland on June 20. We have to be in Leysin on June 21. There are two of us. My daughter is staying in Leysin but, I will be flying out of Geneva on June 22. Would we be wisest to stay in Geneva for the two nights and she can take the train to Leysin on June 21. My daughter is 20. Are there any recommendations of things to do in Geneva for a day. Do you have any recommendations for a hotel or lodging for the two nights. We can leave Paris a day earlier if anyone can recommend a place to visit that we can travel to Leysin and Geneva respectively on June 21.

This sounds a bit like a logic puzzle. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

Posted by
16893 posts

How early is your flight from Geneva airport? It makes sense that you want to sleep within an easy connection to the airport and Geneva's main station is only 10 minutes away. Your daughter should have no problem traveling later from Geneva to Leysin, with connections departing about hourly.

For info on vising Geneva, I'd look at www.myswitzerland.com, Lonely Planet, and/or www.viamichelin.com.

Of course, another option/monkey-wrench would be take a TGV (fast train) direct from Paris to Lausanne, midway between Geneva and Leysin, and covered in Rick's guidebook. For you to backtrack from Lausanne to Geneva airport is one hour by direct train.

Posted by
7346 posts

One day 12 years ago, I did a day trip by train from Geneva up to Gruyere, to visit the town and the cheese factory, as described in Rick Steves' guidebook.

Posted by
8437 posts

Depending on the weather, just cruising on the lake ferries is pleasant.

Posted by
3391 posts

The old town in the center of Geneva is well worth visiting. The cathedral is beautiful and they have excavated underneath it down to the 1st century...fascinating to visit! Great antiquarian book shops, antique stores, and art dealers in the neighborhood.
If you are into science make a reservation to tour CERN.
Take the train around the north side of the lake and stop in Lausanne to see the cathedral.
Go to Montreux and visit Chateau Chillon.
Take the train up to Gruyere - the cheese factory is pretty touristy but the old town sitting on a hill is really nice - touristy but nice.
Walk the lakeside promenade in Vevey - relaxing and beautiful!

Posted by
4389 posts

there are two guidebooks that both start with "F" that will have info on Geneva, Rick's books do not