Please sign in to post.

Geneva

Traveling through Geneva. Do you recommend any "must see" sites? I would prefer a local guide so I could be mindless... does anyone have a guide they recommend with their contact info? Thanks, Michelle

Posted by
118 posts

How many days in Geneva? What are your interests? Geneva is a big city, but nice. Bus/tram travel in Geneva is extremely easy, just buy a 1 day pass. In fact, very quick and easy to go from the airport to downtown by train or bus. I would not want to drive there and try to find parking. Don't know anything about tour guides, though, sorry.

"Must see" is pretty personal. For me, if it were Wednesday, I'd have to go the the gigantic flea market at the Plein de Planpalais. By all means go down to where the main road goes over the lake/river. Very nice area. Nice shops on the far side of the bridge. My wife always recommends the Red Cross Museum. There is even a clock museum that was interesting.

Not a city for a beer drinker, but of course, most excellent Swiss wines and cheeses. Good food. The stereotypical Cheese Fondue can be had, I'd think, but summer is not really "Melted Cheese Season", as a friend called it.

Posted by
30 posts

Hi Michelle. I can help you plan your stay in Geneva. How much time do you have and when exactly you'll be in Geneva?

The city is great and worth visiting - from the watchmaking and chocolate industry to John Calvin and his reform of the Catholic church, not to mention the international organizations who chose Geneva as their quarters. The Old Town area is a must-see, the Quai du Mont Blanc, and the lake.