Please sign in to post.

From Wengen - what can we do/see below 9,000 feet???

Hello.
My family will be in Wengen for 4 nights from July 3 - 7.

We do want to get into the mountains to see the incredible views, but my husband's cardiologist recommends we not ascend higher than 9,000 ft.

What lifts can we take to where that would not exceed that elevation. Once there, he really shouldn't be climbing too many steps or anything overly strenuous. HE really wants to do this though.

We'd also love to know about great valley walks. We would love to see waterfalls. Is Trümmelbach Falls too strenuous; it's not that high, so I'm thinking that would be fine. What other waterfalls?

We do plan to visit other villages, etc. while we are there. I just need help with the elevated sights.

Posted by
8136 posts

Using the sbb website or app
https://www.sbb.ch/en
Put From: Wengen To: the following locations with great views:

Kleine Scheidegg 6800 feet
Männlichen 7900 feet
Murren 5400 feet
Gimmelwald 4500 feet
Harder Kum 4400 feet
Eigergletscher 7800 feet and then ride down to Grindelwald
First 7200 feet

You can walk from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach, this is in the valley.

Posted by
2542 posts

I would also recommend the leisurely stroll from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach Falls. You can attempt the stairs at the falls but if it seems too much just turn around and exit. From the entrance to the falls, there is a post bus that you can take back to Lauterbrunnen to save him some steps.

Posted by
972 posts

We do want to get into the mountains to see the incredible views, but my husband's cardiologist recommends we not ascend higher than 9,000 ft.

Looks like you live at or near sea level (NJ?). What experience has your husband had at higher elevations in the recent past? I ask because different people have wildly different reactions to higher altitude, even people without any known heart disease complications, and from my own personal experience, a doctor's recommended cutoff of 9,000 feet seems quite high - I would suspect your husband will have breathing difficulties at a much lower elevation than that, even below 5,000 feet.

I am in my late 60s, I am a heart patient, and for most of my life I lived at sea level or barely above it, and in the last decade when I retired I lived at 6,300 feet elevation in Colorado until for 7 years, and I currently live at near sea level now, and I had no issues whatsoever in Colorado, even when exerting myself, and felt no ill effects when we went much higher, up to around 10,000 feet elevation (Breckenridge, CO). Yet I have several very fit senior friends, much fitter than I with no heart disease, who when they made a similar move from sea level to Colorado and actually lived at a lower elevation than I, they suffered significant breathing difficulties, altitude sickness, etc. I have friends who did not fully adjust to living at elevation for a year or more.

The point being, you never know how any individual person will react to being at high elevation. Throw in any kind of exertion, including just walking around, and you may discover he should not attempt to go from sea level to 9,000 feet.

My only suggestion would be for him to try out spending a few days at a much lower elevation - say no higher than 4,000 feet or so - and engage in walking or whatever kind of exertion he does now, and see how that goes? Wengen is at around 4,000 feet; see how it goes there before venturing any higher - that would be my approach given his condition and the doctor's warning. I would even suggest spending a few days in say Interlaken, first, a little below 2,000 ft, and it is relatively flat there, easy to get around - he should do some brisk walking - see how that goes first? Because in Wengen, the town is not flat, even getting from the train station to your hotel can involve fairly steep inclines and challenging terrain.

Good luck.

Posted by
428 posts

What JoJo said about altitude...do some test runs here first if you can, and not just for your husband - unless you already have been at higher elevations and know how you handle it. We were in Peru in December and reactions to altitude varied widely, even in areas that were under 9000 ft, and even with the recommended gradual increase in elevation to acclimate. Sacred Valley is 6700 ft and Machu Picchu is 7900 ft and that was still tough for people, regardless of age and health. So don't assume that just because elevation is below 9000 ft, he will be fine, he may not.

Posted by
253 posts

Wouldn't you be flying at over 30,000 feet coming to Switzerland??

Posted by
8136 posts

Wouldn't you be flying at over 30,000 feet coming to Switzerland?

Modern planes have controls that prevent altitude sickness in the cabin through the automatic introduction of oxygen

Posted by
496 posts

Yes….but pressured flight cabins control that. Not quite the same concerns. We loved Wengen! Before arriving in the BO…we spent a couple days in lower altitude areas first as suggested. So many hikes and sites to see from there as mentioned. We lucked out at an annual cheese festival. Listen to your cardio but I think its very doable!

Posted by
180 posts

Google "Grandfathers Walk" and "Grandmothers Walk" for level hikes at around 7500 MuM (METERs above sea level).

Maennlichen is at 7687 ft, but the walk to KS is downhill and gradual. (GrandMother).

Gruetschalp-->Muerren(Grandfather).
Wengen at 4180 feet.
Grindelwald 3400 feet.
Gruetschalp 4789 ft.
Allmendhubel 5721 ft.
Hike Accordingly!

I agree with testing out your abilities at lower altitudes first.