Please sign in to post.

Food in lauterbrunnen

We will be in lauterbrunnen for 4 days after tomorrow. Would love to get some info on the good things we must eat in the area and where. We would like to avoid the expensive places and still want to explore the local cuisine.

Posted by
2535 posts

Enjoying "good things we must eat" while voiding expensive meals in Lauterbrunnen, well that will be a challenge. Somewhat, but not entirely facetiously, enjoy a hearty breakfast if such is included in your accommodation and then shop for the balance of your needs at a grocery store. Anything Swiss cheese is tasty...raclette and fondue (despite the eye roll by our server when I ordered it the last time there). Save much money in advance, as you will need it!

Posted by
32310 posts

Unfortunately avoiding "expensive places" will be difficult in Switzerland, as even basic items can be pricey. One item of local cuisine that I always enjoy is Rösti, and a good place to try that is the restaurant at Hotel Oberland (they have several different varieties on the menu). One way to reduce costs would be to fill up on your "free" breakfast, get something light (and cheap) from the Coop store for lunch, and then enjoy a fine hot meal at dinner. You could also try the lunch at the Horner Pub. As I recall, they had good food.

Posted by
39 posts

Try the Weidstubli restaurant located at the Camping Jungfrau complex in Lauterbrunnen. I have not personally eaten there, but my family has and tells me it is really good, a lot of fun on a busy summer evening, and that the food and drink prices are "cheap for Switzerland", according to my father.

Posted by
768 posts

I have eaten at the restaurant at Camping Jungfrau (which, by the way, is about a 15 min walk South from Laut. train station on the main road). Reasonable prices. We had the rotisserie chicken and also the pizza, and would order those again. There's also a nice camp store there that has the basics, including fresh bread and milk and pop and chocolate, etc.

Posted by
768 posts

You also asked about good things to eat. If you are in Switz., you should try the soft drink "Rivella". It's lactose-based drink, but doesn't taste like milk at all. It's sweet and carbonated. It's unique and usually can't be found outside Switz. In Lauterbrunnen, you can find it a the Coop store across from the train station. I tried the standard, the mint, the peach, and rhubarb flavors--all good, but maybe start out with the standard Rivella.
Also, something I never see in the USA: chocolate yogurt. Try it! About 40 cents per 8 ounce cup and in the refrigerated sections of almost every store. (Many other flavors as well.)