Please sign in to post.

Flight out of Zurich - timing

Hello -

We have a 10:20am flight out of Zurich to Heathrow, then on to the USA. We'll be staying in Lauterbrunnen. There's a 6am train that puts us at airport approx. 8:40am.

Will that be enough time to make flight? There is also a 5:30am train that gets us there at 8:15am. Could do that just in case we miss a connection.

tx

Posted by
5836 posts

ZUR check in was jammed when we arrived late morning Saturday for a 1:15 PM departure. A mid-morning departure may put you ahead of the pack. (We arrived 2+ hours before departure made the boarding gate with a lot of time to spare).

You should print out your boarding passes before getting to the airport if possible. We had three lines. First to find out we needed to go the the self-serve check-in machines to print out boarding passes. Then a line to check bags (and we had a ski box that had to be checked at the counter). And of course the security line. Pre-printing boarding passes and no checked baggage will save you a lot of time.

Posted by
1674 posts

If it were me I would travel to Zurich the night before and stay there. I don't like rushing in the morning. Too many variables, possible late trains, poor transfers etc. Trains run from Lauterbrunnen during the evening. Avoid the fretting and get a good nights sleep for a long flight home. Just my way. Have a nice trip.

Posted by
20110 posts

Take the 5:30. There is extra security at the gate for flights to the US.

I am wondering if Edgar was there during ski season. Saturdays at both Zurich and Geneva are a madhouse. Other days, no problems.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks all

We'll be checking a bag. Also leaving on a Thursday in mid-September.

5:30am train is probably the way to go, and printing boarding passes or checking in with app. Will look into staying over in Zurich, but I recall there not being much there that's inexpensive.

Posted by
8889 posts

There is extra security at the gate for flights to the US.

Yes, but Jeff is flying to Heathrow first, the extra security will be at Heathrow,
You need to allow 10-15 minutes to get from the train to the check-in counters. I would say 08:40 arrival at the airport station is too risky if you have to check in luggage. Ok if hand luggage and you have your boarding pass in your hand.
If this is one through flight, you bags will be checked through to your final destination.

Stay overnight and get a good nights sleep without worries.

Posted by
20110 posts

Indeed, missed that.

Interesting that this "extra security" only seems to happen to people who arrive at the gate early. If you are a making a connection at ZRH from elsewhere in Schengen and you are running late, you don't have to do "extra security". Swiss don't like delaying trains or flights.

Posted by
9 posts

Ya - hotel is looking better at airport. Don't need the stress, especially on the way home.

grats to all

Posted by
740 posts

No need to get an airport hotel in Zurich if you would rather have the last evening in Zurich. Trains from downtown Zurich to the airport are fast and frequent. Stayed at the Hotel Walhalla (near train station) last summer and took the train to the airport for my morning flight. Couldn't be easier.

Posted by
211 posts

I will be staying at the Hotel Walhalla in Sept. before my flight home. The price isn't bad for a large city, and hopefully, it will be a nice enough place. Many times in the USA, I will stay at an airport hotel, but I want to spend my last night in Zurich enjoying the atmosphere.