Please sign in to post.

First-Time in Switzerland Solo Traveler Seeking Advice for a Relaxing Trip August 2025

Hello everyone,

Apologies if this question has been asked before; I did a search but couldn’t find an exact match.

I’m planning to visit Switzerland either before or after attending a wedding in London on August 9, 2025. I’ll be traveling solo and this will be my first time in Switzerland. I’m aiming for a relaxing trip, staying in one place with the possibility of a day trip or two. I want to unwind and enjoy picturesque landscapes and delicious food.

After some initial research, Wengen seems like it might be a good fit, but I’m open to other suggestions. I’m looking for an authentic Alpine experience with mountain views, rolling green pastures with wildflowers, turquoise lakes, and perhaps some goats with bells – essentially, my vision of Heidi brought to life.

Since I’m somewhat of an introvert and not a fan of hiking, my ideal day would involve a good breakfast, a gentle walk, reading, maybe a boat trip or a short train ride, enjoying local cuisine for dinner, and an early night.

I’d be very grateful for advice on any aspect of this dream vacation, including but not limited to:

• Location recommendations
  • Travel to/from Switzerland
  • Transportation within Switzerland
  • Suggested length of stay
  • Lodging options
  • Activities and sights
  • Restaurants and local food

P.S. Bonus points if I can also visit the Lindt Home of Chocolate in Zürich!

Thank you so much for your help!

Posted by
6277 posts

Personally, for what you are looking for, I'd say something like 4-5 days in Wengen/Murren/Lauterbrunnen, and 2-3 in Luzern. Luzern is on a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains. If you want to stay in one place, I wonder if Wengen/Murren isn't central enough to get you some lake exposure. There aren't really lakes near Wengen. Lauterbrunnen is closer to Interlaken and the lakes, but is a valley with a small river and some waterfalls. I think the Lauterbrunnen valley is quite spectacular, but many would rather be "in" the mountains.

So, if you wanted to split your time, then I think Wengen meets your goals because you'd get your "lake" time with Luzern.

I know what you mean when you talk about Heidi. I think my love of mountains started with watching that movie as a child. Sorry, can't suggest the best way from London to Switzerland, I've never been to London. Fly to Zurich?

In terms of delicious food? Do you like cheese? I love Switzerland, but I don't think of wonderful food and Switzerland together. I will say that the store brand chocolate at the Coop stores is amazing.

Posted by
3113 posts

Click on the + sign on the right of At a Glance: https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/switzerland/lauterbrunnen-valley. Wengen sits in the Lauterbrunnen valley. Plan on five nights in case of iffy weather. There’s lots to do here.
Zurich has some of the best chocolate you will ever taste. I bought mine in the basement of Zurich’s main train station. Another delicious dish is rösti (Swiss hash browns). You also want to order fondue.
Ride the rails to get around: https://www.sbb.ch/en.
In July, Rick Steves will have an updated guide book. Make sure you buy the 12th edition.

Posted by
1922 posts

Luzern is lakeside, and I think it's going to be more your jam than up in a village higher in the mountains. Surrounded by mountains of course. It would be a good place to chill out.

Posted by
17168 posts

If Heidi were alive today, she would be astonished at what her beloved Alpine pastures have become. They still exist, but they are laced with trails filled with hikers, and divided up into grazing areas for the cows which seem to dominate the area. But I do love the sound of their bells.

You may have to adjust your expectations. Wengen is a fine village, and a good choice for being up in the mountains with spectacular views. There is great food on offer in the village, especially at our favorite hotel Bären. If they have a solo room available, they will take good care of you. If that is not available,,there are other excellent hotels nearby. Most guests take half-board at their hotel, and the food is very good, and usually made with local ingredients.

But there is no lake nearby, and for that you would have to take the trains down to Lauterbrunnen and on to Interlaken, or beyond to Thun or Brienz for your boat ride or walk along the lake.

As for lakes, I am afraid Luzern is not what you are seeking, if I understand you correctly. Luzern is a city, one situated by a lake to be sure, but it is full of traffic and crowded with tourists. Many of them. There is no serenity there. The lake is not that lovely turquoise blue of a glacial lake. And while we have tried to find a pleasant place to stroll along the lakeshore there, and maybe take a swim, or even just sit and look at the lake, that quest has totally eluded us. Most of the lakeshore is crowded with boat docks. There are a couple of small pocket parks tucked in between all the boat docks, but they are not particularly pretty, or quiet.

When we want to be near Luzern but enjoy the lake, we stay in Weggis, a boat ride away, at a nice little lakeside hotel with lakeview rooms. The mountain known as Rigi rises above the town, and you can ride a cablecar from Weggis up,to Rigi Kaltbad, with easy trails that traverse the mountainside, as well as ones that ascend to the top. One can walk out from the village and find cows and peace and quiet. In Weggis itself, I have not yet found any pleasant lakeside strolling.

A place you might consider for a lake venue is the village of Iseltwald, on Lake Brienz not far from Interlaken. This is a glacier-fed lake which can take on that beautiful color.

https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/destinations/iseltwald/

But I will caution that I have read recently, in an article about the problems with over-tourism in Switzerland, that Iseltwald has become yet another victim of Instagram fame, thanks to the series “Crash Landing on You” which was partially filmed in and around Iseltwald.

I wish I could recommend beautiful Oeschinensee, where we have spent a number of nights in the rustic mountain inn by the lake.

https://www.oeschinensee.ch/en/

But the inn closed to overnight guests after the 2022 summer season, due to what the innkeeper described as a “toxic environment” created by too many “entitled” and demanding visitors who had no respect for the place and the people who lived and worked there. It is a shame, because we really loved that place for an overnight in the mountains. The restaurant is still open, however.

I apologize if this sounds negative. I don’t mean to discourage you, but just to warn you that Swiss tourism has changed since the pandemic. Had we not been going there for 25 years, we would not have known the difference. But we have, and we do notice. Wengen and Mürren have changed little, perhaps due to local restrictions on development. But places where cars and tour buses can go, like Luzern and Lauterbrunnen, feel overrun to me.

Posted by
584 posts

Honestly your dreams sound a bit more like staying on a lake in Austria. It’s not the easiest place to get to, but it does fit what you’re asking for….this little place on the water is Weissensee, though TBD if they’d still have room availability at this point
https://www.ronacherfels.at/
The boat stops right there, there are easy walking trails along the lake, breakfast on the water and a cable car in town to ride up to the cow pastures. You’d want to rent a car though.