Please sign in to post.

First time in Switzerland

Hello, My daughter and I will be traveling to Switzerland in May for our first time. My goal is to see as much as possible for the 6 days that we are there and wondering if staying in one location is best or should we break up the time by staying in 2 different locations. So far I have reserved Hotel Interlaken to explore the Jungfrau region. Thank you in advanced for any and all recommendations/advice. Also, if anyone has any experience staying at Hotel Interlaken I would be interested on your stay. Thanks again😀

Posted by
6897 posts

Hello!
How many nights are you spending in Switzerland? 5? 6? And where are you flying into? is it Zürich?
I will assume 6 nights, and Zürich.

I would spend 4-5 of those nights in the Jungfrau region at the beginning of the trip, and the last 1-2 nights in Luzern if you are flying out of Zürich (you will be close enough to Zürich airport for all but the earliest flights).

For the Jungfrau region, Interlaken is not the best base because it is not in the mountains, but just at the foot of the mountains. It is much better to stay further towards the Jungfrau range: Mürren and Wengen are most people's favorites being car-free villages high up above the valleys; Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald are also good options but perhaps a hair less charming.

Posted by
17 posts

Yes, we will be there for 6 nights and flying out of Zurich. I think I will be changing my plans to stay in Wengen since it’s closer. I’m glad you mentioned Lucern because that was on my radar. Thank you so much for responding and the advice

Posted by
8441 posts

Not much "see as much as possible" in that short of time. But if it were me, I'd do three in Wengen (or Lauterbrunnen) and three in Luzern. Because there is a lot of "as much as possible" right in those two locations. Moving around is very time-consuming, as travel distances are farther than they appear on the map.

Luzern is a good place to stay at the end, or the whole time, because it gives you easy access to the Zurich airport - about 1.25 hours by train to the airport rail station.

The reason Interlaken is popular is because it is a base for sports. But its not in the mountains, its in the foothills of the mountains. You want to be up the valley.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you for the advice, I have been overwhelmed with all my research and having a hard time with deciding on where to stay. I like your idea of three nights in both Wengen and Luzern.

Posted by
17 posts

Carrie thank you so much, I will check on these hotel. I am thrilled about the 25% discount and will try to take advantage of this promotion. I may have a slight problem because I have to update my daughters passport and I noticed someone mentioned that a passport will be necessary to purchase tickets. I worry that I could have a issue once her passport number changes and doesn’t match her Swiss Pass. Any thoughts on this?

Posted by
2669 posts

You do not need your passport or passport number to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass on-line. I’m looking at my pass from this past Sept. and it will just have your name, birthdate, start date, class (1st or 2nd) and the number of days the pass is good for. The pass also has a QR code which is what the conductor will scan. When you buy the pass online, you will be emailed 2 links. One to view and print the pass and one to add the pass to your smart phone’s wallet. On the train, you can either show the printed out copy or the pass from your phone. Some conductor’s will request to see your passport. They are just matching the name on the passport to the name on the pass. I just showed a copy of my passport and that was acceptable. I was able to keep my actual passport in my money belt.

And with the pass, there is no need to purchase tickets. The pass will act as your ticket. We loved the pass and found it to be super convenient.

Posted by
17 posts

This is great info, thanks Carrie. I just booked the Des Alpes in Luzern for our stay. Looks amazing, thanks again😀

Posted by
2669 posts

I’m excited for you that you’re booked in Lucern. If you have a chance when you’re there, the boat/train combo to Mt. Riggi was one of my favorite things when I was there this past Sept. And the journey is covered 100% with the travel pass. And if you do end up in Wengen, the quick cable car ride up to Mannlichen (discount with the pass) was my absolute favorite thing to do. Cows everywhere, which I quickly became obsessed with. 😊

Here is a great video on Mannlichen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsp2XG8lPyw&t=2036s

That same you tube channel also has videos on Wengen and Lauterbrunnen. I don't recall if he has one for Murren.

Posted by
265 posts

Be aware that some of the walks (Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidig) at higher elevations could still be covered with snow in May.

Posted by
1371 posts

If you're planning to explore the Jungfrau region, especially if you plan to do any hiking, I'd spend 4 nights in Wengen and 2 in Luzern. A few years ago in July we visited Interlaken and Grindelwald before training up to Wengen for the night. The next day we took the cable car up and hiked down from the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheigegg and on back to Wengen. The day after that we took the cable car up from Lauterbrunnen and hiked over to Murren and then down to Gimmelwald - followed by the cable car down to the valley and a hike back to Lauterbrunnen. On the last day we relaxed. Total of 4 nights in Wengen. Left Wengen and visited Luzern before heading back to Zurich for the night and then flying back to the U.S. Wished we would have had stayed at least 1 night in Luzern.

Posted by
62 posts

Hi, we are planning a similar itinerary in may. Just wanted to know if a stay in wengen be fine in mid may? Will it be too early as most hotels are yet closed? We have also booked into hotel interlaken for the same reason but always dreamt of staying in wengen.
Thanks

Posted by
2669 posts

Mv1972, if hotels are not open yet in Wengen or Murren, check out Lauterbrunnen as those hotels will open a little earlier. Hotel Oberland I believe opens mid-April. It’s super easy to get to Wengen and Murren from Lauterbrunnen. I recently stayed in Lauterbrunnen and loved it. Lots of waterfalls to look at down there in the valley. Do not stay in Interlaken if you can avoid it.