Please sign in to post.

First time in Switzerland

We will be ending a river cruise in Basel in mid-July and are staying in Switzerland for 9 days after the cruise. We plan to visit Bern and Murten; we plan stay in Murren for 3 nights and do as much hiking as we can; we plan go to Luzern for 2 nights and then will go to Zurich for a day before we fly home. I made a spreadsheet and plugged in some of the boat trips and museum visits we are hoping to do. We would like to go to Schilthorn if we have good weather. And since we are staying in Murren, I made some assumptions about the various lifts we would need to take to get to points on the other side of the valley. I think we are going to purchase the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass; the cost is a little higher than the half fare card, but I like the convenience of the pass. I do have a question about the pass: is it permissable to use the pass multiple times on the same day? For instance, if we travel from Murren down to Lauterbrunnen and up to Mannlichen for a hike and return to Murren, will I be able to use the pass for all the modes of transportation I need to take for this excursion?

Another practical question: We each use a carry on size roller bag when we travel. We will be taking the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to get the train to Murren. Is there room on cable cars for roller bag suitcases?

I appreciate any replies.

Posted by
32847 posts

The passes are for so many days, not for so many trips. Fill your boots....

No problem with luggage on the cable cars.....

Posted by
1443 posts

Unless your flight from Zurich is really early, spend your last night in Luzern and scratch Zurich all together. Luzern has a direct rail connection to the Zurich airport. 2 departures per hour, and the trip is 70 minutes. Now you can add a day to Murren!

Posted by
7209 posts

Use the Swiss Pass as many times per day as you want. Half the value of the Swiss Pass the ease of use. Jump on and off wherever you want as many times as you want.

Take your luggage with you on boats, buses, trains, funiculars, gondolas, etc - no problem

Posted by
451 posts

From the Lauterbrunnen train station, take the walkway under the road to the lift, plenty of room for luggage, then at the top, board the train to Murren, again, plenty of room on the train for your luggage.

Yes, you can use the pass several times each day without a problem. Look at the Swiss pass coverage map. This topic was discussed recently.

Stay in Lucerne not Zurich.

Posted by
11348 posts

We like to use the Berner Oberland Regional Pass when we are in the area. You buy it for so many days and it is good for most of the lifts although you have to pay extra for the Schilthorn and Jungfrau. We find we use about 150% of the value when we stay in the area around Lauterbrunnen. I have never been able to make a Swiss Pass pencil out. You might want a HalfFare Card too as it will apply to all of the travel outside of the Berner Oberland and also give you a discount on the BO Reg Pass.

Yes there is room on the cable cars (actually gondolas) for your suitcases.