Please sign in to post.

find immersion experience in French-speaking country

I notice that when I travel abroad, I cherish my inter-personal encounters with natives more than touring monuments and museums. How else would I have discovered that French children relinquish their lost teeth to the Tooth Mouse rather than the Tooth Fairy.

Can anyone point me to somewhere in France or Switzerland where I could practice my language skills in an immersion environment (French only). This might be a class, or what else?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
328 posts

There are a lot of opportunities to do something like this all around Europe. I can't give you specific suggestions in Switzerland but you can do an internet search and come up with some pretty quickly. I did 3 months of language classes in Munich and took an option for a home stay with a local family. I highly recommend doing that, if you can. They had a few students staying with them and encouraged us all to practice our language skills over dinner each night. It was where I got the most improvement in my language skills.

Posted by
973 posts

Try the village of Apples in Vaud. The only non Swiss I've met there are owners of the local Thai restaurant.

Posted by
69 posts

I enjoyed our visit to Western Switzerland, Murten and the Vully region. We spent a day traveling the Absinthe trail in French speaking Switzerland. As we traveled further away from the main cities, French was predominately spoken in this area.