Please sign in to post.

Final 3 nights in Switzerland?

We have 6 nights in Switzerland in mid/late June before moving on to Venice. We (me and my teen daughters) are spending the first three in Murren. We are trying to decide where to spend the last three. One wish I have is that transport to Venice not take 8 or more hours. We really would like continued access to the natural beauty of Switzerland and the Alps. We have been looking at Bellinzona/Lucarno/Lugano as a possible final option. Bellinzona came up because we thought the three castles looked interesting.
Should we consider spending our last 3 nights (so really 2 full days) some place else? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted by
8889 posts

Lugano. Beautiful town on a lake. Nice round trip on the lake. Trip up the local mountain. Bellinzona is an easy day trip for one of your days, if you want to. Culturally different from the Berner Oberland, Italian cuisine, architecture and flair with Swiss organisation and cleanliness.

Posted by
20178 posts

I am wondering why it has to be in Switzerland. Why not Italy? I am thinking Stresa on Lago Maggiore. 5 hours from Venice with a single change in Milan. It's on a bigger lake than Lugano and they both speak Italian. But the prices will be about 25% cheaper for everything. It is also a bit quicker to get to from Muerren than Lugano.

Posted by
219 posts

Chris, Thank you for the recommendation.

Sam, we are spending a couple of weeks elsewhere in Italy on this trip. That is why we are focused on staying in Switzerland for those few days.

Posted by
20178 posts

I guess the point is to spend time in Switzerland after you have already spent some time in Italy. Lugano will be just like Italy, except posher and a lot more expensive. So if you want to be in Switzerland different than Muerren, try the French speaking part. Montreux or Vevey. You can take the Golden Pass railway from Interlaken for a nice scenic ride to get there. Chillon Castle is iconic, and when it comes time to leave, there is an EC train direct to Venice in 6 hours from Montreux leaving at 8:37 in the morning.
http://www.chillon.ch/en/

Posted by
219 posts

We were considering Montreux at one point because we really wanted to take the Golden Pass. I had no idea there was a direct train from there to Venice. That is a lovely suggestion! I love this forum just for this type of information. Thank you so much!