Please sign in to post.

Family Trip to Switzerland 2024

Hello! I'm planning a family trip to Switzerland in June 2024. We are a family of 5: Dad, Mom, and three boys who will be 9, 7, and 4. We are an active family from Alaska that loves mountains, biking, hiking, and camping. Our sons attend a German immersion elementary school and read/write/speak German. We got a fantastic deal on airfare flying direct into Frankfurt (yes, from Alaska!) and out of Zürich.

We are planning to travel by train, and it looks like with the kids it'll be best to do a Swiss Family Pass, or at the very least a Half Fare Card + Berner Oberland Pass. I figure I'll get my itinerary set and then will figure out the train!

In this itinerary, I would like some help deciding on how to divide up our first 4 or 5 days between Lucerne and Ticino/Lake Como, or convince me to spend more (or less!) time in Lucerne. We have previously spent time in SW Germany and Alsace, but are open to a stopover between Frankfurt & Switzerland in Germany as well!

Day 1- Arrive Frankfurt 11:00 a.m. Train to Lucerne (about 4.5 hours according to SBB). Interested in visiting Mt. Pilatus/Mt Rigi, seeing the Fortress Fergen, Lucerne Lion, and the Transportation Museum.

Day 2- Lucerne

Day 3- Travel to another area of Switzerland to spend a few days. This is my main hang up- I would love to see the Ticino region but feel that we'd need to take a day away from Mürren or Lucerne so that we weren't moving around so much. In Ticino, the Val Vercasza and Bellinzona castles look great! Would it be smarter to base ourselves in Como for a few days and day trip to Bellinzona?

Day 4- Ticino?

Day 5- Travel to Mürren via train. Looking forward to hiking in the Bernese Oberland and visiting the amazing alpine playgrounds with the kiddos!

Day 6-8 Mürren; Eiger Guesthouse is booked for these days.

Day 9- travel from Mürren to Zürich after checking out of our hotel to spend the day in Zürich. Hotel Glockenhof booked, and also interested in the Dinosaur museum and visiting chocolate shops on this day.

Day 10- leave Zürich at 11:15 a.m. for home :(

Posted by
373 posts

Skip Como, skip Zurich except for a layover before the flight. Research RS other pick of Appenzell. With young kids this is where I would want to be. Luge rides and play grounds that you can get to by train, weird animals at Guest House Egglie that you can pet. In June there will be cows and goats taken thru town all dressed up in flowers on their way up to the Alps, so much fun. J

Posted by
451 posts

I would spend more time in Lucerne, if I had to pick and would stick with two destinations. I did a similar trip with my family two years ago, and we spent 4 nights in Lucerne and 5 in Murren. (We also spent time in Italy). Moving to new places takes up a lot of a day, and I enjoyed having longer in each spot and being able to explore at a slower pace.

My kids were 6 and 2 at the time and we found plenty to do. The alpine playgrounds are incredible! I’m happy to link my trip report if you’re interested.

Posted by
445 posts

My kids enjoyed a day trip to the Ballenberg open air museum, combined with a boat ride over there on the lake. As I recall, they were free for all of that with the Swiss Family Pass.

Posted by
11457 posts

Good advice above. Skip Ticino and save it for another trip. Ditto Como.

You have at least two full days worth of activities listed for Luzern. Rigi and Pilatus would be hard to do in just one day. Plus you will be getting over jet lag, so spend 3 nights in Luzern, then 5 nights Mürren and your final 2 in Zurich. Nothing wrong with a day in Zurich and a nice walk along the lake.

BTW, the Transportation Museum in Luzern is one of the best in Europe. The kids will love it!