My first time travel in Europe by train, so please pardon me if I am asking naive questions. I will be traveling in EU with my family (3 adults and 1 child)
Here is my travel plan:
Land in Geneva on 16th June, (tour of Glacier 3000)
Geneva to Monterosso on 18th June by Train *** (7:39am EC47 direct train to Milan and reach Monterosso by 5pm)
Monterosso to Rome on 19th June by Train *** (typical sights at Rome)
Rome to Venice on 22nd June by Train *** (typical sights at Venice)
Fly from Venice to Berlin
Berlin to Prague on 26th June by Train ***
Prague to Vienna on 27th by Train ***
*** These are the travel days (5). My options as I understand today are
1. Book tickets for individual trains (I calculate ~1200$, includes seat reservation)
2. Buy Eurail pass (for 5 days its 868$) + about 207$ for reservation = 1075$ total
3. Buy Trenitalia pass (450$ for 3 trips) + 200$ tickets for Berlin-Prague-Vienna = 650 total
My observations are
1. there is not much difference between "point to point tickets" and "Eurail global pass". Unless I miss something.
2. Trenitalia pass seems to be best option however It is not clear to me if Trenitalia pass has any limitations that does not allow me to travel on certain trains for example EC47 between Geneva and Milan.
I will appreciate any insights on which pass/approach is best for me and my family. If I missed another option please do let me know.
Thank you very much in advance.
Edit: Monterosso arrival by 5pm