Please sign in to post.

Eurail Pass

Hi All,
Please advise whether it’s better to buy Eurail Pass for the whole trip or buy separate tickes for each route as the following itinerary:
1. On September 12th, 2023: Starting from Lucern, Switzerland, i plan to take Bernia Express from Chur to Tirano, Italy., and onto Varenna.
2. Take the train from Verenna to Milan, then to Monterooso al Mare (Cinque Terra.)
3. On September 29th, take the train from Monterossoal Mare to Naples.

Should I buy Eurail Pass(es):
1. For both countries: Switzerland and Italy.
2. Buy separate Eurail Pass for each country.

Or buy local tickets on.every train route.

Thank you very much.

Posted by
7811 posts

Based on the details of your itinerary you don't need a pass. Just buy point to point tickets. Look to buy the tickets for Switzerland August 2023. The Supersaver fares on Swiss Rail (SBB) are only available 30 days in advance. For Italy look to buy 90 to 120 days in advance for Milan to Monterosso to Naples.

Posted by
20023 posts

How are you getting to Luzern to begin with?

Combining your other thread about a day trip to the Jungfraujoch, you should get a Half Fare Card for Switzerland. The $277 day trip to the Jungfraujoch you quoted would cost 126 CHF with a Half Fare Card, about half the cost. Then you could use it for Luzern to Chur to Tirano. If you want to save some money, take a regular train to Tirano and save the mandatory seat reservation cost on the Bernina Express. Half fare card costs 120 CHF per person.

The train from Tirano to Varenna and then to Milan is a cheap regional train. IC train from Milan to Monterosso can be bought well in advance to get a Supereconomy ticket, and ditto for Monterosso to Naples.

Posted by
856 posts

I have rarely found the Eurail Pass to be a great value. Booking online in advance for Italy can be very economical too. You should consider a stop off in Genoa while heading to the CT. It is well worth even a short overnight visit.