Please sign in to post.

Easy Question re: seat reservation Luzern Interlaken Express July 2024

On SBB, I already bought the Swiss Travel Pass 15 Day for my family of four July 1 - July 15.
On SBB, I already bought seat reservations for the Golden Pass Express (direct Montreux to Interlacken Ost) on July 3rd
Here's the question:
SBB won't let me just buy seat reservations for Interlaken to Luzern; only gives option of no discount or half fare card? Not Swiss Pass.
On store.luzern.com, I am able to buy the above seat reservations for $17 each, however, no matter what train/time I choose, it shows only 4 seats available and they are not together AND they are the same 4 seats available no matter what train/time I select. It makes no sense.

Do I need to buy seat reservations for this route? I'd like to IF possible, to not have to hassle to find 4 seats together and preferably on the scenic side of the carriage. But, the issue above concerns me.

Posted by
20128 posts

What date and time are you looking at? I just looked and found plenty of seats on the July 3 11:04 departure in 2nd class.

Posted by
32788 posts

I've never had a seat reservation on the direct train Luzern - Interlaken Ost. I have used the train many times.

The train originates in Luzern, and sits for several minutes after arrival before setting off again. Get there early and get on when it arrives, and have your choice of seats. If somebody charges you the equivalent of CHF 62 for seats they must see you coming and imagine a target on you.

Posted by
20128 posts

Seat reservations are actually 16 CHF per seat.
You realize that the system automatically selects seats for you. If there are available seats, you just deselect the seats you were given and select new ones.

You want seats on the lower portion of the seat map. The train reverses directions at Meiringen. You want to be on the right hand side leaving Interlaken. After Meiringen, you will be on the left hand side, which is also the preferred side for that section.

Posted by
16312 posts

I took a look on the Zentralstrasse Bahn website, which is the one to use. For each date and time I picked, there were plenty of seats available—-all of Coach 3. In each case they assigned you seats with consecutive numbers starting at the right end of the car—-103, 105, 106, 107. (There is no 104 because that space is left blank for a wheelchair). All you need do is de-select 103, 105, and 106 and move to 108, 109, 110. Then you will have 4 seats together, facing one another 2 x 2. And Bob’s your uncle.

Posted by
32788 posts

I missed the direction of travel - but the same principle applies - the train originates in Interlaken.

Posted by
1684 posts

You do not need reservations on Interlaken - Luzern. Just get on, and find yourself a free seat. In summer the trains are extra long, and there are always enough seats.

Posted by
782 posts

Do you think a family of four will easily find 4 seats together. Note: we will have all our luggage. Wondering if it would be easiest to just pay the extra $64 for confirmed seats. Don't like throwing money away, but to spare any hassle, it might be worth it.

Posted by
2680 posts

Do you think a family of four will easily find 4 seats together.

Do you have the 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass? If yes, then no, you may not easily find seats together. My first trip to Switzerland was Sept. 2021 and the 2nd class train cars were often very crowded. One time we (me, sister, BIL) could not find seats so we got off and waited for the next train.

I’ve been back to Switzerland several times since and I buy the 1st class Pass now. There’s more room for luggage too.

I’m not sure why you bought your Passes so early, but can you get a refund? If you’re concerned about sitting together, I would pay for the 1st class Pass. That will mean less stress finding seats and room for luggage for your entire trip.

Posted by
20128 posts

Well that's pretty easy advice to tell someone to shell out another 1056 CHF. And even then, you are not guaranteed to get 4 seats together. For individual routes, you can purchase class upgrades if you like. Summer crowding varies depending on times a routes. Remember that Swiss trains run a route at least every hour, no matter what the loading is.

Posted by
782 posts

I thought about buying a first class STP, but for a family of 4, the extra $ didn't seem worth it. Switzerland is already a very expensive country to visit. I think I'll just buy the seat reservations for $64 and then not worry about finding seats together on the scenic side of train and a place to store luggage, etc. Last thing I want on vacation is a potential hassle. Thank you for all your help!

Posted by
1684 posts

One time we (me, sister, BIL) could not find seats so we got off and
waited for the next train.

That is not what you normally do.

Trains are mass transit, but Swiss trains run frequently, and are long, and as a result average loading is around 1/4. It is extremely rare for all seats to be taken. And often you will notice people claiming two seats, having their backpack next to them (like me, right now, on the Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken train). But you can always ask people to move their stuff so you can sit.
And trains make multiple stops, and there are always people getting off. So seats will free up.

So to the OP: Just get on the train in Interlaken. If you do not find a free compartment you just look for seats close together, and just move as soon as somewhere a convenient set frees up.

And since you have the STP, you could even do Interlaken - Brienz on a boat if you feel like it (and yes, you can take your luggage on the boats too...)

Posted by
979 posts

So I have travelled this route countless times over the summer as I live here and it is one of my favourite routes.

People are correct in say that you don't need a reservation, but the morning trains up to about 11:00 in July tend to be very crowded with groups and individual passengers. I have no doubt you'll get seats on the train, but getting 4 seats together on the right side might prove too much.

The time table suggests that it is possible to make a reservation, but I have never seen this in practice except for groups. The mobile app says it is possible but you need to do it at an SSB counter.

I'd say be there about 20 mins before hand and be prepared to spread out in the carriage and you should be fine. It is less than a two hour journey, with no changes, so people should be fine sitting on their own.