Please sign in to post.

Driving through Switzerland

I'll be driving through Switzerland on the way From Schiltach (Black Forest) to Salzburg. I booked two nights at the Hotel Restaurant Kulm in Triesenburg, Liechtenstein because of the ratings and from their website it looks awesome. I am not married to staying in Liechtenstein if some one has a recommendation for a two night stopover in Switzerland that is at least somewhat on the route to Salzburg. The current plan is too visit Heidi Village, hike, and maybe a ride on a gondola.

Posted by
16893 posts

I haven't been to Liechtenstein and don't care too much about specific hotel accommodations. I do recommend the town of Appenzell with its folk museums, lift to Ebenalp, and nearby cheese factory/museum in Stein.

Posted by
32757 posts

Remember to buy the CHF40 Swiss Vignette and €9 or €10 or so Austrian Vignette before crossing the respective borders.

If you are non EU citizen you will need an IDP before arriving in Austria.

It is much easier and much shorter to go directly via Munich to Salzburg from Schiltach, and quite scenic too.

If I were detouring through Switzerland for the mountains (Austria and Germany have them too) I'd stay in the mountains instead of Liechtenstein.

Posted by
18 posts

Nigel,

I am hoping the rental car will already have the Swiss and Austrian vignettes :), but I am prepared to buy them if need be. I will be travelling the Salzburg to Munich route on the return trip. Our last three days are in Munich, and we fly out of MUC. I am going to make a trip to the local AAA office for an IDP and to get some Euros. Thanks for your reply.

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks Laura, Appenzel looks interesting. I'll have to do a little more research into it.

Posted by
20090 posts

I am hoping the rental car will already have the Swiss and Austrian vignettes :),

Not likely unless you rent the car in Switzerland. Both Switzerland and Austria attached? :(

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks Sam,
I hope for the best, but I'll be prepared. My last trip to Europe, the rental did have the Swiss sticker, so I guess I got spoiled.

Posted by
8889 posts

pknight6, The Swiss Autobahn Vignette is CHF 40 for one calendar year. Swiss hire cars have the sticker provided by the rental company, not foreign hire cars. You must have got lucky and somebody else had already driven that car in Switzerland earlier the same year.
Austrian Vignettes are available for shorter periods (10 days € 8,90, 2 months € 25,90 or 1 year € 86,40). Even if somebody had driven that car into Austria, the Vignette would almost certainly be out of date.

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks Chris,

I don't really expect the Rental car to have the Swiss vignette, but if it's there, I'll take it. I am certainly prepared to by it at the border.