Please sign in to post.

Driving in Switzerland

Just returning from a beautiful trip from Geneva to Zermat then on to Lauterbrunnen Valley With a stop in Lucerne And completed the trip in Zürich. Just wanted to give an update that driving in Switzerland with joy. The roads are wonderful parking was easy and it allowed us to explore areas we would not be able to cover by train. We did some antiquing around Gruyères And came up with some really good finds. I wanted to Write this because Automobile transit allows for us flexibility. Individuals with mobility limits may find it easier than navigating train transportation. Very very doable. Found a great little hotel in Weggis To explore Lucerne. Delightful.

Posted by
5 posts

Do You mean rental car for 12 days? That was $500.00 for fuel efficient car. Filled tank twice. $ 80.00 total gas fill up.

Posted by
7209 posts

And where did your automobile take you that trains couldn’t get to?

Posted by
34 posts

Good to hear. Unfortunately there’s plenty of unnecessary car hate on this forum. See Tim’s comment above.

Yes, yes, the trains are great. We know.

For people with mobility issues, hauling a bunch of luggage/gear, and/or people who like me who went and did hikes I couldn’t have gotten to via mass transit, driving was terrific.

I went to towns, sights, restaurants, and of course hikes that I couldn’t have seen via train.

Driving was a joy in Switzerland. And for that matter Italy, Austria and Lichtenstein.

Posted by
7209 posts

HeyPhil: No car hate...but there's a lot of car misinformation around here as most Americans have no idea how to ride the rails and mistakenly think of it as cumbersome or confining. But yes, it's a valid question as to where a car can take you that the Swiss Public Transport System can't take you because most tourists don't ever go near to those places that are not served by public transport.

Posted by
65 posts

If you enjoy driving, the mountain passes are incredible. The scenery in the train may be similar, but the driving is a lot of fun. Rent a nice BMW and drive!