Please sign in to post.

Driving in Switzerland

Planning on spending 5-7 days traveling from Florence through Switzerland, staying at AirBNB and to be able to have more options thought I'd drive. Trip is early May. Any weather issues and how are the roads?

Posted by
4850 posts

If would help to know where in Switzerland you are planning to visit, and where you will be dropping the car. Driving in Switzerland is really no different than anywhere else. Some roads are better than others.

Are you renting a car? Do you know about the drop off fees if dropping in a different country than you picked up from? Do you know about the vignette for Switzerland and the IDP?

Have you looked at the rail options to your Swiss destinations?

Posted by
7209 posts

So you've never driven through Switzerland? You'll actually have few options in Switzerland by driving as the most beautiful places are not accessible by vehicles other than public transport (trains, gondolas). Wengen, Murren, Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Zermatt, etc - all accessible by public transport but not cars.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks. I've been looking through other posts as well and maybe my best option is just train from Florence and pick a few lovely spots. I'd like to parasail in Lucerne. Picking up daughter from college so we'd have gobs of luggage to deal with, unless a Prof. will store it.

Posted by
20085 posts

If you return home from Italy (like Milan Malpensa), a car would be feasible. Just be sure to purchase a vignette sticker for the car at the Swiss border and attach it to the windshield in the proper spot.

Posted by
7209 posts

Parasailing in Lucerne? I’ve seen many of them in the Berner Oberland but none in Lucerne.

Posted by
271 posts

Cars are great. Anywhere that you cannot get to in a car you just park it and grab the local transport. Local transport in this case is usually a cablecar of some sort, maybe a bus, and in some cases a train (like from Taesch to Zermatt if, god forbid, you are going to Zermatt). I am always amazed that people find using a car to be a problem in Switzerland. It really lets you get off the beaten path!

Posted by
7209 posts

most tourists don't go "off the beaten path" and therefore are better served by public transport...What exactly do you like to visit that is "off the beaten path"?