Please sign in to post.

Driver's license

Is an international driver's license needed in Switzerland or will my US license be sufficient?

Posted by
23284 posts

Technically it is an International Driver's permit that is a translation of your current driver's license into multi languages. Just to be on the safe side, I would get it. It is only 20 bucks.

Posted by
20 posts

Frank - thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated :-)

Posted by
891 posts

I think that you also have to have your home license with you. Anybody confirm that?

Posted by
8889 posts

An IDP (International Driving Permit) is a certified translation of your licence. It legalises it. So yes, you need BOTH your original licence AND the IDP, and must carry both when driving.

I am not sure you actually need an IDP for Switzerland. I can't find a reference online on any official website (and some of the advice on unofficial sites is contradictory). You definitely DO NOT need an IDP if you have a licence from an EU country. It would do no harm to have one.
BTW, driving a significant speed over the limit, or with too much alcohol, will get your licence taken away on the spot.

You definitely do need an IDP if you cross the border into France or Italy.

Posted by
8293 posts

Yes, of course you do. The other is just a "permit" to drive and a translation of your own country's drivers licence, which you must have with you.

Posted by
32212 posts

Duane,

One other point to add.....

You can easily obtain an I.D.P. at any AAA / CAA office for a small fee. Two Passport photos are required but the issuing office can usually take those (for a slight additional fee). I.D.P.'s are valid for one year.