Please sign in to post.

Does it make sense to stay in Brienz for 4 nights instead of Interlaken

Hello!
I'm saving a ton of money staying at Brienz instead of Interlaken, which is about 20 minutes away by train. Does it make sense to stay here? We have 3 full days, and want to visit Lucerne, Brienz, the alps near Lauterbrunnen, and Thun - any advice on whether staying in one place has benefits over the other?

Posted by
267 posts

How many people, what month and what is your rate, private bathroom?

Posted by
16353 posts

If you are going to visit from Luzern to Thun, and also Lauterbrunnen, it is pretty much the same amount of total travel time starting in Brienz or Interlaken. So if you found a much less expensive place in Brienz and you like it, then yes, it makes sense.

Posted by
50 posts

Lodging choice is fine. You are going to have to make some hard choices on attractions. 3 days can be consumed in the area between Brienz and Lauterbrunnen. Consider Aare Gorge, Giessbach Falls, Schynige Platte, Grindlewald First and Lauterbrunnen attractions.

Posted by
21 posts

I have stayed previously in an apartment in Brienz for two weeks, and chose it again for a base THIS fall.
Train connections are good for hiking, with lake cruises and open-air museum Ballenberg as additional draws.
For decades, Brienz was may favorite small swiss town-I even named my dog Brienz!