Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Lucerne

Hi Friends,
We are taking a Rhine river cruise that disembarks in Basel about 8 am. We intend to spend a little time in Basel and then take a train to Lucerne where we will stay for 3 nights at Ameron Hotel Flora mid-July this year. I think the hotel is right across the street from the train station.
So we have 2 full days.
I'm torn.
I'm sure a day trip to Mt. Rigi is right after everything I've read.

It's Mt. Pilatus or train to Brienz to choose for the other day. I wish we could do all 3 and I'm kicking myself for not giving ourselves more time in Switzerland - but this is the time we have to work with (yes, we will likely return but not necessarily with both kids and their spouses).

About us - we're 65 and in very good shape - love to hike (as do the kids). Love astonishing scenery, hiking (3 or 4 miles is enough) good food and wine. We prefer to do things on our own rather than guided tours.

What would you suggest?
THANK YOU!!!
Ellen

Posted by
4993 posts

Is this your first time in Switzerland?
Note that the cities can get up to about 80 degrees but the mountain summits will be chilly.
If it were me, I'd head straight to Lucerne. If you want a glimpse of Basel, get off the train, walk down to the bridge over the river, and if it's a clear day, you'll see the Jungfrau!
If you're in Switzerland almost three days , one of the Swiss Travel Passes might work for you. The STP entirely covers the trip to Rigi and Stanserhorn; Pilatus is discounted.
We found Mt Rigi to be a half-day trip, especially if you go up in the morning, which is usually the clearest time of day, and it's a beautiful experience , including boat ride, cogwheel train, and gondola ( coming down the other side.)
Come back to the hotel, rest a little, and/or wander.
Then you could watch the sunset from Mt. Stanserhorn, which is a 45 minute trip ( from Lucerne train station to the actual summit) with 360 views, via an OPEN AIR cable car- fantastic. There are food and drink options up here.
I haven't been to Brienz so can't comment on that adventure.
Have a great time in my favorite country!

Posted by
8586 posts

We chose Mt Pilatus for our mountain visit. And we enjoyed a 2+ hour cruise on the lake as well. A ferry to some of the other lake towns would have been a good option too.

Posted by
11350 posts

Brienz is a pretty small city as are several others nearby.
We spent several days in Lucerne too and took a boat to the other side of the lake to Weggis I believe. Nice trip. We didn’t go up any of the mountains in Lucerne as we had just done the Jungfrau.
We stayed in a rather bizarre hotel, Châteaux Gutsch , and were the only ones from the US.
Lucerne is so pretty so other than a boat trip across the lake to Weggis we stayed in town and enjoyed it.

Posted by
19 posts

Well I hadn't even heard of Stanserhorn but it looks fabulous!

So if we glimpse Basel and then take the train to Lucerne, we'd spend the day wandering. Is there a good chocolate tour? (The "kids," are interested in that - they're 25 to 35).

Then Rigi and Stanserhorn day 2
Pilatus Day 3

Train to Zurich to catch a flight (the "kids," leave around noon but my husband and I don't leave until 4:45 -we're heading to Santorini on Swiss air to meet my sister/hubby). So we plan on taking the train into Zurich for part of the day... or perhaps you think that's going to be too rushed and we should just enjoy more of Lucerne (maybe lunch) before heading to the airport?

I'm not sure which pass is best based on our itinerary. I've read Swiss 4 day pass (though we're 3 nights - it's 4 days, correct?) covers all trains and the Mt. Rigi trip - cuts Pilatus by 50%.

Thanks again for your time and thoughtful responses.
Cheers,
Ellen