Please sign in to post.

day trips from Basel in late November

Hello! I'll be in Basel for 2 weeks in late November. Looking for ideas for day trips on the weekend (in Switzerland, France, or Germany, is Italy too far?) This is my 1st time in Switzerland.
I'm planning on going to the Basel Christmas market after work and am also interested in the Strasbourgh Christmas market.
I'm interested in charming old towns, Christmas markets, and maybe visit a castle. I'm also looking into doing a train trip to the mountains but not skiing. Any suggestions would be appreciated it, thank you!

Posted by
7850 posts

Colmar France is a favorite here.
i would go to Murren from Luzern as well for the best mountain scenery .

Posted by
8889 posts

Freiburg im Breisgau is a lovely city, ~1 hour from Basel by train, with a nice Christmas market.
I endorse all the other suggestions (Colmar, Strasbourg, Luzern)
Bern is worth a day trip

Christmas markets start on the last Weekend in November, if you want to see them I hope your 2 weeks include the end of November.

A round trip by train is the scenic Brünig pass route: Basel - Luzern - Meiringen - Interlaken - Bern - Basel. All trains are hourly, so you can get off en route for one hour to stretch your legs, and get on the next train.

Round trip of the southern Black Forest. You can do this with a Baden-Württemberg one-day ticket to save money.
Basel Badischer Bahnhof - Freiburg im Breisgau - Titisee. Spend a few hours in Titisee, walk round lake. Get the 7300 bus to Zell (hourly, timetable: http://rvl-online.de/wp-content/uploads/SBG_7300_2016.pdf ). In Zell it connects with the S-Bahn back to Basel.

Italy is too far for a day trip.

I hope this is enough for 2 weeks!