Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Basel

I’ll be staying just outside of Basel for 2 1/2 weeks in Dec and Jan. I’ve found quite a bit about Alsace, but would love recommendations on small villages in Switzerland that would be great for a shorter visit.

Posted by
4710 posts

What are your interests? Are you visiting the Xmas markets? Are these solo trips? Can you please include more info? Safe travels!

Posted by
49 posts

I was in Basel ages and ages ago. Did a day trip by train to Freiburg, Germany. It was not far away and a very neat town to wander around for a day.

Also did day trips to Bern, Lucerne, Mount Pilatus, Zurich. I know these are not small villages, so apologies that this does not specifically answer your question.

Enjoy your time, I have not been to Switzerland in 19 years since my sister no longer lives there, but I long to return one day now that my own kids are of age and would enjoy it.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for your feedback and information. I will be going to Alsace and Basel for Christmas markets, otherwise I just want to see small villages and enjoy the outdoors. I am also housesitting/petsitting, so really do not want to be away from the home for more than 5 to 6 hours. That is the reason I’m asking for short trips — also there is just not as much information online about that area of Switzerland. I’d also love any information about national parks and hikes that could be accessible during that time of year.

Posted by
20096 posts

Switzerland has only one national park and it is as far away from Basel as you can get and still be in Switzerland. December and January will be ski season in Switzerland and the Alps will be covered in snow, so hiking there will be limited.