Please sign in to post.

Credit card PIN

Hello! We're traveling to Switzerland in less than 2 weeks and I just read about how we will need to know our credit cards' PIN numbers to be able to use them there. I called today to find out what my PIN is and they can't tell me over the phone. The only option I have is for them to mail me a new PIN which takes 7-10 business days. We'll be gone by then.... I at least know my debit card PIN so we can withdraw cash from ATMs (and maybe I can use it at locations as well since it is a debit with a Visa logo?) Are we screwed out of using our credit card because I won't get our PIN in time?

Help!

Posted by
20032 posts

You only will need a PIN if you are using an unattended vending machine, like a train ticket machine. US chip credit cards are all "signature" enabled, so when you use it at a restaurant, hotel, shop, it will print out a slip that you sign and give to the merchant, just like at home.

Posted by
9099 posts

You typically only need to use a pin when using your card at an automated machine. For all other purchases like at a retail store, hotel, or restaurant you will sign for your charges just like in the US' no pin needed. Not knowing/having a pin number usually isn't a big deal.

Posted by
4 posts

Oh that's great to hear! I'm hoping my debit card with PIN would then be ok to use in the train stations, is that correct? Otherwise...do they take cash? Thanks for the reply!!

Posted by
20032 posts

Most train stations have a ticket window where you can buy tickets. Its only out of the way stations, or outside of normal business hours that you would need to use a ticket machine. I'd avoid using a debit card for anything other than getting cash out of an ATM. And if asked, always do the transaction in Swiss Francs, avoiding Dynamic Currency Conversion. The credit card network will do the conversion at a better rate.

Posted by
734 posts

But please make sure the back of your card is signed, or you have an ID with you that has your signature on it. You would be amazed how often I get handed unsigned American cards, which I can not accept as I have absolutely no way of knowing that they belong to the person handing it to me. Not a risk I personally will take.

Posted by
3207 posts

I've never needed to use my PIN, even in kiosks and ticket machines; there's a knack to these machines, be patient, and wait for the machine to skip beyond the PIN requirement...or find ticket window. I do bring my PIN for my Credit cards incase I need a cash advance, which is my ultra emergency system, but I don't expect to ever use it. So relax. Enjoy your trip, but use your debit card only in ATMs attached to a bank, if possible.

Posted by
92 posts

Your credit card PIN is probably just an online-only, magnetic-stripe based PIN used for debit networks (e.g., ATM machines and cash advances), not an online + offline PIN (stored in the EMV chip itself) and used for credit network transactions. Nearly all US EMV credit cards are chip-and-signature only; a few are chip-and-signature priority with an EMV PIN as the secondary validation method; and just a handful are true chip-and-PIN priority. Many unattended machines in Europe require offline EMV PINs (I've noticed that in France, Italy, and Netherlands); some will ignore the PIN (just try 0000) for small transaction amounts. See https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/chip-pin-cards for an old article on the topic.

Many Swiss payment terminals (including vending machines) are from SIX Payment Services and now support Apple Pay, which is more secure than EMV. The SBB app is great for train tickets too.

Posted by
4 posts

Ok great! Good to know about Apple pay and using the app to buy train tickets. Thanks so much!