Please sign in to post.

Construction in Murren, Switzerland in May 2024

We are booked for six nights at the Drei Berge Hotel in Murren, hoping to experience a quiet week in the beautiful village. There are many posts on RS and elsewhere describing noisy construction, trucks, even helicopters used for construction in Murren. Some people say the construction is not noisy, while others say that trucks are noisy, and that the feel of the town is ruined during this construction phase.

I would appreciate input from recent visitors and locals on the status now —end of March 2024–and what is expected in May 2024. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Posted by
4719 posts

Recent reports here have said the noise has decreased because the demolition phase is over, and that there is no construction work during the weekends. I'll try to find the info via the very awkward Search function here. Perhaps ask the hotel itself for an honest report.
Perhaps check out a Facebook group for Murren.
We stayed at this hotel when it was the Bellevue, and enjoyed the view so much! It's not very close to the lift that they focus of the renovation.
I hope you have a wonderful trip!

https://search.ricksteves.com/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=Murren+construction&button=

Posted by
422 posts

This is my answer copied from your other post:

There is construction going on in Wengen as well, it’s just part of the growth process. In Wengen It’s at the top part of town, so if you stay closer to the train station you’d be fine there.

When helicopters are used for building it’s a 1 minute fly in and drop off, it’s not like you’re on a military base. In some ways it’s actually fascinating to watch. But of course not everyone finds it interesting.

They are working on the Schilthornbahn right now + the new Murren Palace Hotel near the train station and from May 6-31 the train to get to Murren is closed for them to put in the new train cars, so if you’re staying between those dates your way to get to Murren is Lauterbrunnen > Bus to Stechelberg > Cable car to Gimmelwald > Cable car to Murren. So you may not love that additional bus connection.

Staying at the Drei Berg you won’t have the construction next to you. That’s in the middle of town and construction is on either end.

Posted by
16293 posts

I hope someone there now can give you an update. But in case they don’t, I will share our experience from last September. I doubt it has changed much over the winter.

There were two places with ongoing construction, one at a building connected to the Sports Center (I think it is an old hotel they are renovating) but cannot recall the name. So there were some construction vehicles and materials near there. You will pass this spot walking between the train station and the Drei Berge on the “upper road” through the village. We did too but it did not bother us. Our apartment was right above the Sports Center so very close, but we heard no noise, even from our balcony.

Edit: I see wanderweg posted while was writing and has identified the hotel under construction as the Palace, which jogs my memory.

The other construction is at the Cablecar station where one connects from the car up from Gimmelwald to the one going up the Schilthorn. This is the line they are rebuilding. The Drei Berge is well above this lift station and I doubt you would hear any noise. The truck traffic was the main annoyance, especially walking down to Gimmelwald on the road. But there should not be any truck traffic on the upper road going to the Drei Berge.

There is also construction at the site of one of the towers holding up the cables on the Schilthorn Bahn. This sits right on the popular North Face trail and makes a short section of the trail muddy and hard to follow in spots. This site is probably where they were using helicopters to deliver supplies and tools, but we did not see any helicopters during our 6-night stay. I believe I would have been aware had there been any flying, as we find the process of delivering building materials and other items** by helicopter fascinating to watch.

** such as pallets of beer kegs going to a mountain hut, or an injured cow being brought down from the high meadows for treatment.