Please sign in to post.

Cogwheel trains closed May 2023, alternatives to the same area?

Schynige platte is closed until June 2023 of this year (the cogwheel train up atleast)

We really want to do this May 11-21st when I’m there. Is there another cable car that gets to the same area that we can hike down to or from, and still take a train back? Is it off the table without that train?

Our alternative (we want to do both) is the panorama trail kleine scheidig. Looks like we can potentially do it from the cable car/train from grindelwald. Can I do this with moderate rain expected the entirety of my trip?

Posted by
20103 posts

Maybe try the Harderkulm with the funicular across the river from Interlaken Ost train station.

Posted by
16287 posts

Here is a map of the trains and lifts in Switzerland. You will see that the cogwheel train is only one way to reach Schynige Platte, unless you want to hike there from the top of the Grindelwald First lift. But that trail is not yet open.

https://cdn-doc.myswissalps.com/docs/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelpass.pdf?sfvrsn=7788603a_56

Your dates for Switzerland are May 11-21? The gondola up to Männlichen from Grindelwald does not open until May 27. You can get to Kleine Scheidegg on the Jungfraubahn train, but the Panorama trail may not be open. It is closed right now. Here is a map of hiking trails in the area and their current status (nearly all are currently closed).

https://maps.jungfrauferien.ch/hiking/

Posted by
1656 posts

"Can I do this with moderate rain expected". Well, we do not know at all what the weather will be like then. You will know what the weather is going to be on the morning of each day. Reliable weather forecasts more than 48 hours ahead do not exist here.

The Panorama Trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is a pleasant stroll compared to the Schynigge Platte - First hike. That one is a day long mountain hike that requires a decent level of fitness. But if you have the level of fitness for that kind of hikes what you can do is take the cable car up to the First, walk to Faulhorn, and then back down to Bussalp. That will give you an experience, and views, similar to doing the Schynigge Platte to Frist hike.