Please sign in to post.

Christmas markets in Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Germany

I posted this post below in general Europe but haven't recieved much response, so I thought that I should try here. Also, would it be better to spend three nights in Murren and make Zermatt a day trip from there, instead of spending 2 nights in Murren and 2 in Zermatt? Then we could add another day to one of our other locations.

"My husband and I have been to Europe several times, but never in winter. We would like to make it happen this year and visit some of the Christmas markets. I put together a rough itinerary and would appreciate any feedback from those that have been to these areas and may have some alternative suggestions:
December 8- fly into Florence
3 nights Florence (with a day wine trip to Tuscany somewhere) then train to Luzerne (6.5 hours)
2 nights Luzerne
2 nights Murren
2 nights Zermatt
2 nights Salzburg
2 nights Munich
Fly home December 21st from Munich.
I am looking forward to a quieter travel season. We may go to a museum or two, but we are moreso interested in just experiencing the Christmas season in Europe. We are hoping to use train travel for most of the trip, but are open to renting a car. We usually drive when we go to Europe.
Thank you in advance for your input."

Posted by
1226 posts

The itinerary looks rushed to me with just 2 nights in most places . I am a fan of trains and especially in mountainous areas. If Florence is a must - though it looks like an outlier - then I would go from Florence to Venice/Padua/Verona (pick one) then on to the Dolomites, say Bolzano or similar. I would continue on to Innsbruck or Hall in Tirol then on to southern Bavaria, say GAP or Mittenwald, on to Munich and then Salzburg. This would be less out of the way than going into Switzerland, though still too many stops - select those you like and explore. I suppose for me, it comes down to Tirol or Switzerland, and Tirol is a more direct route from your starting point to your ending point.

Or for something altogether different, consider Christmas markets in the Alsace and Black Forest and dip down into Switzerland from there.

Posted by
1090 posts

Thanks Debbie,

I agree; I want to cut one or two locations as well. We usually spend a minimum of three weeks in Europe and even then likely wouldn't have this many destinations, unless we were on a RS tour Have you been to Murren and Zermatt? If we cut Zermatt then I would like to add a night to Murren and one night to Salzburg. We have been to the Dolomites and had contemplated there again instead of Switzerland, but the train from Florence to Luzern looks manageable at 6.5 hours. Yes, I agree Florence is the outlier but my husband insists on seeing Florence at Christmas time. :-)

Posted by
20067 posts

Verona has a great Christmas market. Italians seem to love a bratwurst smothered in sauerkraut with a big beer. Who'd a thunk it.

Posted by
11314 posts

I think your real outliers are Salzburg and Munich. It is almost 11 hours by train and 8 driving from Zermatt to Salzburg. I would drop those two locations and add time to the other four locations.

I do think Zermatt is worth spending 2 nights, 3 if you are into snow-walking. Both the Zermatt area and the Murren area have groomed trails for walking in winter. It's delightful! No special equipment required.

Also, I would order it Florence - Murren - Zermatt - Lucerne and then fly out of Zurich.

Posted by
11314 posts

Another thought: Bolzano is a very nice stop. Has a decent Christmas market.

Posted by
1226 posts

Hi, April.

I have been to Murren and Zermatt. I love Murren, but have only visited in summer. Zermatt I have breezed through. I did see the Matterhorn. I must say, the town looked v. touristy, but that was in July. It is not on my list of return visits.

Yes, Salzburg could be considered an outlier, too. However, Florence to Munich would give you many (satisfying, IMO) options without the detour into Switzerland. If your heart is set on that, then head from Florence and northern Italy to Switzerland and fly out of Zurich or possibly Basel, and leave Munich and Salzburg for another trip.

Myself, I am booked on the RS MSV tour in December. Although I am v. familiar with both Munich and Salzburg, I figure the tour will give some structure to the limited timeframe I have. I hope to participate or not as I choose at each location. I have never been to Vienna, so that is a nice plus. My plans are full for Munich pre tour. Can't wait.

PS, yes, the Bolzano Christmas market was enjoyable when I was there in 2005 (yikes - so long ago). It was less touristy than some and very few English speakers were in evidence at the time. I have a very nice blown glass ornament with owl from Bolzano. Nice one from Innsbruck, too, sans owl, but produced in the heart of Innsbruck, I believe. And from Munich. I try to seek out local glass makers.

Posted by
2712 posts

Murren to Zermatt is about four hours, way too long for a day trip. I would spend three nights in Murren and skip Zermatt to save one night and all that travel time getting there and back. I say that having been to both, but only in the fall.

Posted by
1090 posts

Carol, the train from Murren to Zermatt is only 2 hours 26 minutes. Am I missing something for winter travel?

Although we are not averse to traveling the 9 hours on the train from Murren to Salzburg, I am seeing some good arguments for not going that far, being that our goal is to celebrate the Christmas markets. We were in ortisei a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. We could be pursuaded to do Alpe Di Siuisi instead of Switzerland. Then we could go up to Salzburg and then Munich......

Posted by
2712 posts

April, my source for four hours for the trip from Murren to Zermatt was Rome2Rio. Also I tw all it taking about that long when I traveled from Zermatt to Murren two years ago. Perhaps there is a new or another route?

I would also consider 2 1/2 hours too long for a day trip. That's five hours of train time plus getting to and from the train stations -- too much for me. I loved seeing the Matterhorn, but there's no guarantee you would see it in the short time you would be there. It is often obscured by clouds.

Posted by
11314 posts

April, I am the biggest fan Ortisei has ever had, but having been to both the Berner Oberland and the Val Gardena/Alpe di Siusi in winter (as well as summer/fall), we think the winter activities are better in the Berner Oberland. That is, if you like to do winter wandern on their groomed trails. The Alpe di Siusi has some options, but may not have much snow yet. We were there Dec 22-27 one year and the resorts had to make snow. But it could be a great combo with Austria for you, if the outdoor activity suits your needs.

Posted by
1090 posts

Thank you Laurel! That is what I was thinking, but haven't really spent much time in Switzerland. So, I think that we are just going to endure the 9 hour train ride from Murren to Salzburg. We actually love train rides and I would imagine that it will be a beautiful ride if there is snow. So, we will cut Zermatt and add a day each to Murren and Salzburg. We can do a day trip to Halstatt from Salzburg.

Thank you for the feedback everyone!