Please sign in to post.

buying train tickets

Hello,
I am trying to purchase train tickets now for travel from Lauterbrunnen to Basel on July 30 for 2 adults/2kids. There are plenty of options, but when I try to secure the reservation, it will not go through. I have all of my other train tickets reserved but this one. Any advice??

Posted by
23318 posts

What isn't going through? Payment? reservation? Error messages??

Posted by
20229 posts

SBB uses 3-D secure, so your Visa or Mastercard has to be registered with a PIN for on-line transactions, at something like Visa Checkout. Or, if you have an American Express Card, that works.

Lastly, just buy the tickets when you get to Switzerland. They are always the same price, and if you want to buy seat reservations you can buy those too at 5 CHF each. Trains never sell out, if that is your worry.

Posted by
8889 posts

Swiss trains are designed to be a turn-up-and-go service. None of this need to buy weeks in advance they have in other countries. There are some advance-purchase tickets, but otherwise you just turn up at the station and buy a ticket. The ticket will be valid on any train that day. Reservation are not needed and not normal.

If you do want to buy in advance, use the SBB website. Is the problem at payment? Is your card authorised for transactions in Switzerland?