Please sign in to post.

Bodensee/Lake Constance

Hello! We will be spending some time (2-3 nights) in the Bodensee area and I want to spend some time on the Swiss side of the lake. I am looking for interesting things to do. Our group is an interesting group. It is me and my hubby, then my father and his sister (part of the trip will be family places in Germany) Nature, history, architecture, food, and wandering through old streets are what we are interested in. I really want to do fondue, I know it is something more geared toward the mountains, but I am hoping to find a good - yet not terribly expensive place. Any help is appreciated. Or if there are any other must eat Swiss regional food, I would love suggestions too.

*Minau is on the list of things to do already ;) (I know it is on the German side)
*I am also aware of the vignette/placard that has to be purchased

Posted by
3962 posts

You could stay just outside of Konstanz where the Swiss border passes through the city but I don’t care for that city area as a base. There are two other towns further down the shore in Switzerland, Romanshorn and Arbon with ferry service to the other side of the lake.

Many people prefer the German and Austrian side of the lake because you have a better chance of seeing the Alps at the southern end.

Another Swiss dish that is on many menus even in the summer (you don’t say when you are traveling) is rössti, great with lake fish.