Please sign in to post.

Boat trips

We have a Swiss rail pass. We're entitled to boat trips. Any suggestions on scenic trips near Lucerne and Geneva?

Posted by
16276 posts

From Luzern, take the boat to Vitznau, ride the cogwheel train up to Rigi Kulm, at the top of the mountain. There is a restaurant there if it is time for lunch, ornjustngo for a walk and enjoy the views over the lake. Then ride the train back down as far as Rigi Kaltbad. There you board a cablecar for the ride down to the lake at Weggis. Walk down to the dock and catch a boat back to Luzern.

Posted by
27120 posts

With regard to lake boats, I'd caution you about one thing: Do not assume that if a 1- or 2-hour trip is nice, an all-day trip will be 4 or 8 times as good. I found a couple hours enough at any one time if I was on the boat for the views, as opposed to transportation.

Posted by
5 posts

To: Lola. Do you know if all those journeys you suggested are covered by the Swiss Rail Pass?

Posted by
11294 posts

The entire trip Lola recommended is covered by a Swiss rail pass (boat from Luzern to Vitznau, train up to Rigi Kulm, train down to Rigi Kaltbad, cable car down to Weggis, steep walk downhill from cable car to Weggis boat dock, boat back to Luzern).

I did this exact trip and had a great day out - except for that steep downhill walk. If that bothers you, take the train back down to Vitznau instead, where it's a much shorter and much closer to level walk between the train station and the boat dock.

I also agree that you will get plenty of boat time on this excursion, and don't need a longer one. The ever-changing cloud formations over the mountains were fascinating, and even as a non-photographer I was clicking away before I even got up to Rigi Kulm.

Posted by
7209 posts

Boats are just 1 part of the integrated Swiss Transport System that also includes buses, trains, funiculars, gondolas and local city trams...all of which are covered by the Swiss Pass. Only the higher private railways such as the Jungfrau and Schilthorn are not entirely covered by the SP, but you will still receive a hefty discount when your purchase tickets on those transports.

Posted by
4140 posts

Another vote for the Vitznau trip ! Here is a romantic video about the rail journeys of yesteryear , including the Vitznau trip ( and the reference to Mark Twain , as well ) In four fifteen minute segments https://youtu.be/hlZaicAXnFA

Posted by
16893 posts

The map that comes with your Swiss Travel Pass shows all covered routes as solid lines - red for trains, yellow for buses, and white for boats. It's also online here.