Please sign in to post.

Best scenic train route from Basel to Milan

Hi folks, we are considering extending our vacation when we disembark from a river cruise in Basel. Our thought is to travel to Milan by train and we would like the most scenic route. We are not in a big hurry but found Switzerland quite expensive. Probably 1 overnight stop would be enough. A few years ago we travelled from Milan through Mulhouse with a stop in Lucerne. That was lovely. Is there another route with beautiful mountain scenery that you can recommend going in the opposite direction? Travelling in late March 2023! Cold, I know.

Posted by
20178 posts

3 choices.
Most scenic: Bernina Express route. Basel-Zurich-Chur-Tirano-Milan.
Gotthard route: Basel-Luzern-Bellinzona (via Goeschenen)-Milan
Loetschberger route; Basel-Bern-Brig (via Kandersteg)-Milan

You have to specify the "via" for the second and third or you will be routed through long base tunnels that by-pass underneath all that mountain scenery.

Posted by
316 posts

I was on the Gotthard train. It’s a beautiful journey. And also the longest tunnel in the world. It does stop in Lake Como if you are so inclined to visit there a day tor two instead of Switzerland. I was on a river boat tour that started in Basel. It was an ok town. I biked around it and had fun. I suggest going for the first class fare on the Gotthard train. Milan was great. Train was very easy and fun.

Posted by
20178 posts

If you specify via Goeschenen, you will use the older rail line and avoid "the longest tunnel in the world". Much more scenery on that route.