Please sign in to post.

Best hikes in Zermatt

My family and I will be spending 3 nights in Zermatt. We are avid hikers and are in good athletic shape. We can hike for 7 or 8 hours at a time with a break for lunch. I am gathering opinions on the best hikes while in the area . We will spend at least a half day traveling via train for the best view of the Matterhorn . Other than that 1/2 day , we are up for most anything. I have heard about 5 lakes hike....is it worthwhile? Any others high on the list of "must do??"

Posted by
20100 posts

You might just ask at your hotel in Zermatt. They will know some good ones, and how strenuous they are. Once you are in the mountains above Zermatt there will be great views of the Matterhorn every where. It dominates the landscape.

Posted by
11322 posts

Rick Steves' Switzerland guidebook outlines a number of great hikes in Zermatt as well as everywhere you are going in the country. You'll want the details, so I suggest you buy the book to take along. Lots pf great details on the lifts, strategies for avoiding crowds, where to eat, etc.

Posted by
3099 posts

What train will you take for the best Matterhorn views? I hope you mean the Gornergrat. You can hike up and ride the train down,mas we did, or do the reverse as most people do. The restaurant at the top was our least favorite lunch spot, however.

We did not hike to the Hornlihütte, but that trail is reputed to offer the best up-close views of the mountain. Start by taking the lift to Schwartzwaldsee.

As for the Five Lakes hike, we only did the first two---Stellissee and Grindjisee. These are much more beautiful than the other three, which are lower down, with less-scenic lakeshores. You may see reflections of the Matterhorn in the first two---a classic Matterhorn photo. We went on up to Flüalp hut for lunch and really enjoyed that.

Be aware that the Matterhorn is a shy mountain and often shrouded in clouds, even when it is clear elsewhere. We had an apartment in Winkelmatten (far end of the village) with a gorgeous view of the mountain from the balconies, but we did not see her until the afternoon of our second day there. That day started with a small blizzard ( but we hiked anyway)..