Please sign in to post.

Best area for hiking in Switzerland in May 2020

We are lucky enough to be travelling to Switzerland in May 2020. We are three very keen hikers and would like recommendations for the best hiking in May. We love mountains and views and are not very interested in towns so we don't need to be close to a major centre. We hiked in the Jungfrau region this year and just loved it and have a week there at the end of May, but we wondered if maybe the Ticino area would be have a better climate in mid May before we go to BO? If so what towns would you recommend? If not what other areas would come close to the Jungfrau area for natural beauty please?

Posted by
6893 posts

Mid-may is tricky as snow can linger. I'd still be inclined to recommend the Engadin Valley (St Moritz area), it is very scenic with more dramatic mountains than in Ticino and a wide array of trails both on the valley floor (there are lakes) and higher up if snow allows.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks Baslo, I did look at the Engadine Valley quickly, it does look beautiful , I will some more research on it. Can you recommend a small town in the area that has good access to hikes. We will be getting there by train so not to remote.
Thanks Knowsley for the intimate knowledge of Sonogno, it was one town I had thought looked very appealing, some reports said it was "barren"? Lots of really good things said about the area though. Do you have any knowledge of Cevio please?

Posted by
6893 posts

In the Engadin I would recommend Pontresina (Close to the glaciers and mountain railways), or Sils Maria (close to the lakes)

Posted by
1 posts

You may want to check out Isenthal if your desire is to go for non-touristy and one of the most peaceful hiking and relaxing day. Go there with family once a year. Have a wonderful vacation in Switzerland.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks Sal, Is that area good for hiking in May? It looks very pretty

Posted by
6 posts

Consider Mount Rigi, great views, excellent hiking at all levels.

Easy to reach by public transport with a view is Mittlerschwanden and Kaltbad at Rigi. Directly at Rigi Bahn. Mittlerschwanden is approx 5 minutes from Vitznau station, where you also can take a bus or boat to Lucerne. It is about 2h from ZRH airport by train and boat (with an hourly connection direct to Lucerne, so you have not to change until you get to the boat). All covered by Swiss Travel Pass. There are several houses to rent.

For your Lucerne Rigi trip you could consider to stay 2-3 nights at Mount Rigi and explore lake, Lucerne and Rigi from there. Lucerne is eg from Vitznau a 1h boat trip. In case you prefer to stay outside the city and with a great view.