Please sign in to post.

Bernini Express

I want to reach Lake Como from the Lucerne area. I am at a crossroads for whether to take the Bernini Express. I can either:

1) Take the regular train to Lugano and stay the night before continuing onto Lake Como

or

2) Train to Chur, stay the night and take the long way to Lake Como via the Bernini Express.

I will be doing a lot of train travel while in Italy so I am wondering if it is worth the extra time to take the Bernini Express. What do you guys think?

Posted by
20087 posts

Lake Como is a big lake. Where do you want to go? Como? Menaggio? Bellagio? Varenna?

Posted by
492 posts

The Bernina Express train ride is beautiful. It's a scenic ride. We did it in 2007 and would love to do it again.

Posted by
16893 posts

I think the Bernina Express route (note spelling) is quite worthwhile, but I have not traveled the faster train line for comparison (under 3 hours to Lugano, still includes some mountain scenery). You won't get from Lucerne to Chur early enough to catch the official Bernina Express departure, but can take regular trains along the same line. From Tirano, you can connect to an Italian regional train along the east side of Lake Como, serving Varenna. See schedules at www.sbb.ch, such as from Luzern to Varenna via Chur or via St. Moritz (8 hours for the whole thing).

Posted by
12 posts

I think the Bernina Express route (note spelling) is quite
worthwhile, but I have not traveled the faster train line for
comparison (under 3 hours to Lugano, still includes some mountain
scenery). You won't get from Lucerne to Chur early enough to catch the
official Bernina Express departure, but can take regular trains along
the same line. From Tirano, you can connect to an Italian regional
train along the east side of Lake Como, serving Varenna. See schedules
at www.sbb.ch, such as from Luzern to Varenna via Chur or via St.
Moritz (8 hours for the whole thing).

Yes I would stay overnight in Chur if we do take the Bernina Express. A night in Chur seems pricey as well.

Posted by
16261 posts

I would not stay in Chur. That is a short ride from Luzern and you can go farther and stay in the Alps. Look at the villages of Samedan and Pontresina, which are less expensive than St. Moritz. If you stay in Samedan you may have to take a short train ride to connect to the BE.

Posted by
1010 posts

My husband and I took the Wilhelm Tel trip from Lucerne to Lugano, Switzerland. Then we stayed at the Hotel Dante Center in Lugano. It is literally at the bottom of the funicular when you get off of the train in Lugano. Then we picked up the Bernina Express when we left from Lugano. It was a fabulous train/ bus ride. We actually left Lugano by bus. It was a long winding ride around Lake Maggiore. It was spectacular. Our day took us from Lugano to Zurich. The Hotel Dante Center was really nice.