Please sign in to post.

Bernina Express Questions

Wife and I are planning a European vacation where we'll end up in Switzerland before spending the last few days in Venice. We would like to take the scenic Bernina Express train from Switzerland side. We see a lot of bundled tours on the others sites which starts from Milan, but we don't know if the views or starting location are easier to get to from the Swiss, or Italian side. Instead of buying a package tour for this train ride, we were also thinking that maybe we can put it together ourselves. Questions I have are as follows:

1. How do we catch the Bernina train leaving from Zurich? Is a local train easiest to take there or are there buses?
  2. Seems like the Bernina train is a one way trip. Are there local train that we can take back to Zurich?
  3. Is there a tour package from Zurich which includes bus to the Bernina train packagedtogether ?
  4. Is the Bernina train better to start out from Italy side, in Tirano?

Any help is appreciated

TN

Posted by
21026 posts
  1. You take one of the frequent trains direct to Chur from Zurich.
  2. There are Bernina Express itineraries that have a return Bernina Express about 2 hours after the arrival in Tirano, but yes, there are more frequent regional trains that ply the same route without the expensive seat reservation fee.
  3. Just buy a Saver Day Pass a few months in advance and you can travel all day in Switzerland for 52 CHF pp, including Zurich to Tirano and return. Unfortunately, the Saver Day pass does not cover the seat reservation fee. But here is an idea, just ride the local trains instead. Same tracks, same scenery, no crowded trains, no extra fees, travel on your schedule, not the few named Bernina Express trains. https://www.sbb.ch/en/tickets-offers/tickets/day-passes/saver-day-pass.html
Posted by
2 posts

Thank you both for your prompt responses. Much appreciated.

Steven, didn't know you can catch this train at different location; good o know.. Did you get to Pontresina from Milan on a local train or from elsewhere in Switzerland? Did you buy your tickets in advance?

Posted by
11 posts

In 2022, I landed in Zurich from the U.S and took the next train to Pontresina which was a bit pricey last minute, 80E, but with great scenery - probably much less if purchased ahead of time. I spent two nights there and recommend it if you want to break up your trip. The hotels provide included transportation on all area trains, gondolas, funiculars, and buses which I used to maximum benefit to take great free trips up the mountains above St. Moritz, Diavolezza, Muottas Muragl, etc.

After comparing the pros and cons, I took the standard train on the Bernina Express route down to Tirano Italy. It was only 18E from Pontresina (everyday price) and incredible scenery. It had many fewer passengers than the actual Bernina Express and the windows on this train open so I was able to get great photographs without any window glare. I got off in Tirano and then took a train to Lake Como.

I hope this helps.