Please sign in to post.

Bernina Express

I am going to Switzerland in mid September. How far in advance should I book tickets on the Bernina Express?

Posted by
1403 posts

Are you planning on the more expensive train with the panoramic ceiling windows, or do you just want to see the scenery on the route? Because regular Swiss trains not requiring a reservation travel on the very same train tracks as the “Bernina Express” train. Photographers often say, while you can see the sky through panoramic windows, taking upward photos is problematic because of the reflections created by the ceiling windows. Many say photos are best by opening the side windows on a regular train.

Posted by
1403 posts

You’re welcome. You are going to be astounded at the scenery- it was my favorite in Switzerland and I’ve been on almost all of the scenic train routes.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you. Maybe we are crazy to spend the extra money but we would also like the audio to explain everything we are looking at since we have never been there before. Any tips would be appreciated.

Posted by
4675 posts

We did the Bernini Express route regional trains last Sept, 2021. It is an incredible journey , even if you know what's coming, ( from viewing tv shows and tube videos) the reality surpasses expectations.
The panoramic trains usually have every seat booked, so forget about social distancing, if you have those concerns. I loved opening the windows and breathing the fresh mountain air on the very uncrowded regional trains, and I could bounce from left to right sides to see the fantastic sights without someone's head in my sight line. The regional train schedule also offers more options. Just IMHO.
The regional train announcements will alert you to the major landmarks, and the RS Swiss guidebook also has a great section on this route.
But either way, your journey will be memorable, and safe travels!