Please sign in to post.

Bernina Express

If you have taken the Bernina Express from Chur, where did you decide
to go from Tirano and/or Lugano (the bus is currently sold out on the day I want).

Did you go to Italy or return back to somewhere in Switzerland.

Thanks

Posted by
967 posts

From Chur to Romantik Hotel Muottas Muragl near Samedan for overnight, then on to Varenna, then to Milan. We're definitely slow travelers, so this took about 6 days.

Posted by
4616 posts

From Lugano, we went by train to Milan. On a different trip, we traveled from Lucerne to Lugano (~2hr train), then from Lugano back to Zurich (~2hr 30min train) for departure.

From Tirano, Varenna is an easy destination (we went in the opposite direction.) Tirano, by the way, is worth an hour meander if you want to see the ancient town gate and old town walls with homes built-in and still inhabited.

If you can get to St Moritz, the Palm Express bus goes from there to Lugano. Is that the bus that is sold out? It's a lovely scenic ride - best views from the left side of the bus.
https://www.postauto.ch/en/excursion-tips/palm-express

Posted by
7838 posts

No the bus portion of the Bernina Express Tirano to Lugano is sold out on the day I am going
So it looks like I will be going from Tirano to Lake Como area for a day and a half and then to Milan to fly back home

Posted by
991 posts

Jazz+Travels,

We did the Bernina Express last year and stopped in Varenna on Lake Como on our way to Milan. Varenna is on the line that connects Tirano and Milan so it makes for any easy stop. We stayed at Michelangelo B&B in the village for one night (not really enough time - wished we had stopped longer) and we took the afternoon ferry over to Bellagio. Just breathtaking area.

Margaret, Missouri