Please sign in to post.

Bernia Express

I am having difficulty finding what time the Bernina Express leaves the Torino Nord station on May 29th. I have purchased my 1st class seat and I will be purchasing my Super Saver pass on March 29th, I do not know the train number and time to purchase our tickets for the train on that date.
I used “The Trainline” to book a fictious date in February going from Torino to Zurich. It did not give the option to put I. By way of Chur.
I would appreciate any enlightenment as to booking the Express, S some of you have done in the past.

Posted by
4674 posts

Use the SBB app. Train line is a third party seller.
The south end of the Bernina Express route is Tirano, Italy.
Hope this helps.

Posted by
967 posts

We did the Bernini Express train a few years ago, but instead of the special red train, took one that runs on the same tracks but more frequently. I don't know if this is helpful, but we bought our tickets the afternoon before in Chur from a very helpful agent in the train station. This was in October. Since four hours on a train is about my limit, even in spectacular scenery, we opted to break the trip with an overnight at the the mountaintop Romantik Hotel Muottas Muragl, up the funicular from Samedan. This made for two days of wonderful scenery plus a memorable overnight up at hang glider level.

Posted by
32198 posts

Shelley,

I'm not sure the Bernina Express leaves from Torino Nord. The usual route is from Tirano, Italy to Chur, Switzerland. AFAIK, there is only one departure per day in each direction of the panoramic cars, but there are numerous other trains on that route using normal rail cars. As I recall the panoramic train departs Tirano at about 13:00.

Could you clarify exactly which trip you'll be taking.

Posted by
19963 posts

Trains from Milan arrive at Tirano Nord station, then you walk across the piazza to Tirano Rhaetischebahn station for the Bernina Express train, as well as regular trains to Switzerland.

Posted by
9530 posts

Yes, it’s important not to mix up Torino and Tirana, or you will have problem finding the right tickets — and for that matter, be sure to look for the *Bernina * Express. I don’t mean to be nit picky but in this case, reversing some vowels or leaving out a letter could create some real headaches for you in your planning and traveling !

Posted by
649 posts

Thanks so much Ken and Kim. I was certainly asleep at the wheel. I did mix up the 2 cities so I did have to make a cancellation in Torino in order to take the train to Tirano. Luckily I do have 2 half days before leaving on the Bernina. I do have to check out as to the timetable it leaves and book a regular ticket.
I do want to end up in Zurich and I know the express stops in Chur. So will I need 2 tickets?
Thank you to the other posters as well.

Posted by
32198 posts

Shelley,

If you're travelling from Tirano to Chur on the panoramic train, as I recall it departs at about 12:30 or so, and gets into Chur at about 18:00. Unless you're willing to put in a very long travel day to reach Zürich, you might consider staying the night in Chur and depart for the final leg the next morning when you're well rested.

You can check the rail schedules at Bahn.de, SBB.ch or Trenitalia. Reaching Tirano from Milano is a very easy trip, but be sure to plan your timing so that you reach Tirano in time to meet the Bernina Express. If you buy the ticket locally using a ticket machine at Milano Centrale, you'll need to validate it prior to boarding the train on the day of travel. Don't forget or you'll risk hefty fines! If you buy the ticket online, it's not necessary to validate but the ticket must be used within a specific time window. The train to Tirano passes by Lago di Como and the small town of Varenna, which is a big favourite with many here. Sit on the left side when facing forward for the best view of the lake.

Yes, you will likely need two separate tickets. The Bernina Express is operated by Rhaetian Bahn, while the trip from Chur to Zürich will be via SBB. I haven't checked the schedules but I'm fairly sure that's the case.

Posted by
1614 posts

You do not need the schedule of a train to buy tickets. Tickets are not for a train, but for travel. You just buy a ticket Tirano - Chur (or wherever you’re headed in Switzerland) for your travel day.

In Switzerland you never need multiple tickets. Even trips involving 10 different companies can be done on one ticket…

Posted by
649 posts

Ken
Thanks for your input.
We will take the train from Torino to Tirano the day before so we will be there for the train.
What I can’t figure out is, if you look at the Bernina Express site, there are 2trains leaving at different times on The summer schedule. Which one is the Bernia express and both go to Chur? Perhaps there are 2 a day in the summer.
I will write the hotel to see what one if not both are the Express.
I was also under the impression that I could book a ticket on the Bernia to Zurich by way of Chur. I will keep researching.

Posted by
4674 posts

There are the regional trains, which use the same tracks, which run several times a day. The panoramic trains run less often. We rode the regional trains, which are much less crowded, don't require a seat reservation, and have windows that open. I'd recommend this option.
Safe travels!

Posted by
649 posts

Pat
If I had not already made a seat reservation I would definitely have opted for this alternative, as I have still not got an answer as or which train number is the Bernina Express.

Posted by
6868 posts

If I had not already made a seat reservation I would definitely have opted for this alternative, as I have still not got an answer as or which train number is the Bernina Express.

I do not think that you need that information. You just need to know at what time you have a seat reservation (do you have that info?) and to buy a "Tirano-Zürich via Vereina o. Albula" ticket, which is not linked to a train number.

Posted by
32198 posts

Shelley,

I decided to check the SBB website to get more information on the trip you want to take. Using an arbitrary date of 18 May, there appear to be several departures of the Panoramic Bernina Express each day. These are designated on the schedule with the letters "PE xxxx". Reservations are compulsory on these trains.

If you're planning to say overnight in Tirano and connect with the train the next morning, you could take the 10:06 departure, PE-972. There are two changes in St. Moritz and Chur, but if you take that one you could be in Zürich by 16:22 (just in time to get settled and have a nice dinner), The next Panoramic train doesn't depart until 13:17, arriving Zürich at 19:22. These schedules may vary depending on your travel date.

Hope this helps.