Please sign in to post.

Bernese Oberland sept 2025 planning

Hi, we initially looked at the self guided inn to inn tours but we are concerned about hiking everyday and short stays in hotels. So we are now looking at a longer stay at an inn or hotel and venturing out via train to our next hiking day. Looking for advice for perhaps 2 different towns within the area and any recommendations regarding our thoughts. Varied ages in the 2 in their 30s and 2 in their active 70s.
Probably a trip of about 8 days.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Posted by
5470 posts

Will you be jet lagged or are you coming from another area in Europe?

Posted by
5 posts

Oh yes definitely jet lagged. Coming from Oregon.
Thanks for the prompt response

Posted by
1623 posts

It's good that you are planning ahead. A longer stay is good because Alpine weather is very fickle and you may not have good weather for hiking on all days. I suggest you consider renting a place for one week to see if the weekly rate is cheaper than 8 or 7 x the daily rate.

Posted by
5 posts

That was an option. Have you had experience with short term rentals in the area?

Posted by
2495 posts

Hi neighbor! In July 2023, our group of six spent 5 nights in Wengen. I highly recommend one base. Plus a night or two close to the airport if you’re flying out of Switzerland and not continuing on elsewhere. We had some rain every day, and had to be flexible about what we did each day to work with the weather. Otherwise you lock yourself into specific sites/hikes on specific dates and the weather might not cooperate.

We stayed in two apartments in Chalet Gerbera: the middle (unit OG) and top floors (unit DG). Each apartment has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. There is a separate laundry room shared by all units. The views from the balcony are absolutely fabulous. It’s downhill from the train station, so a bit of a hike back into town. Or you can walk downhill a few minutes and take the train uphill a few minutes. The host (Ruth) is lovely and will give lots of suggestions. They had hiking poles available, too.

I booked through booking.com, but you can book directly here: https://www.chalet-protea-gerbera.com/preise-verfuegbarkeiten?lang=en

Posted by
3 posts

Hi, I recently returned from a 24 day trip to Switzerland with 5 nights in Wengen at Chalet Bergera. I would highly recommend staying several days in Wengen, it is a beautiful location, centrally located with easy access to transportation in any direction. The only minus is no matter where you are in Wengen, it is either uphill or downhill to go anywhere in the village :).

I did a few days of hiking on easy level of trails in the area. I would take a train or gondola uphill and then hike down. Trails were well marker, mainly gravel with some paved going as I got close to Grindelwald. Weather wise I got lucky and only had to contend with rain on one day, as I left Wengen, they started to get early snow and several trails were shut down.

Chalet Bergera is beautiful and Ruth is a great host. There is a full kitchen in the rental with any utensil you might need for cooking. I booked directly with Ruth but be aware she only takes cash or a some sort of cash transfer service. I would stay here again if the opportunity came up.

In Wengen there is a Coop and another small grocery store that has a nice selection of cheeses, meats, wines, and liquor. There is also a good variety of restaurants in the village. I would recommend Hotel Baeren, which you will pass on the way to Chalet Bergera. Make a reservation as they are usually full every night.

Posted by
11680 posts

If you want to explore two areas, in addition to the Wengen/Mürren/Lauterbrunnen area you might look at Kandersteg. Kandersteg has enough to keep you hopping for 2 or 3 full days and the great Lauterbrunnen area for a week or more.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you! Wonderful advice on this site. We are including mt blanc in our excursions.