Please sign in to post.

Bernese Oberland in May

Hi all -

As I am planning our trip to Switzerland late May (May 23rd-27th) and doing research/reading Rick Steve's books, I am wondering if we are making a mistake going to the Bernese Oberland area during that shoulder time between Ski & Summer months? I have read that many restaurants are closed as well as some train/cable car routes? Also that the weather can be iffy...

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this? I just want to make sure that we are going to have enough to do and enough fun food to eat, etc.

Lastly, we have been recommended to stay in Murren - again, is this okay to do in May?

Thanks!

Posted by
9098 posts

My last visit to the region was during this same exact week for three days. Had I great time. Murren was a ghost town, only a couple of hotels open. Had perfect weather, it was 70 degrees on the valley floor during the day with perfect visibility. The only downside was all the trails above Murren/Wengen were still snowed in and closed. But all the attractions were open:Jungfrau/Schiltorn/Trummel Falls. On the day we left for Paris there was an overnight snowstorm that dumped six inches of snow in Murren, so be prepared for anything;)

Posted by
12040 posts

It isn't the perfect time to visit, for the reasons given above, and because there may still be some snow cover over the high altitude trails
But if late May is the only time you have, go for it. Just prepare for a wide range of weather conditions and budget enough time so that you have a little wiggle room, in case you lose a day or two to bad weather.