Please sign in to post.

Berner Oberland Pass vrs. Half Fare Card

We need advice from readers who have experiences visiting the Berner Oberland Area. We have been attempting to compare the various potential options for our two and half day visit to Wengen in the middle of August. We will have Half Fare Cards. We seek advice in comparing the advantages and the disadvantages between the Half Fare vrs. the 3 Day Berner Oberland Pass. We plan to depart from Luzern about 08:00 and thus arriving in the Berner Oberland Area in late morning if we go directly to Wengen. This arrival time should provide us the opportunity to make excursions on arrival day. Like most travelers, we desire to maximize our experiences. Is there a recommendation of doing either the Brienzer Rothorn or Brienz - Interlaken Ost boat trip enroute from Luzern to Wengen? Our Luggage will be carryon type, is luggage an issue to consider? Assuming the weather is cooperating, our agenda would ideally include: Wengen-Jungfraujoch, Wengen-Schilthorn, and the Wengen-Männlichen trip to Grindelwald. Can we do these in our timeframe of 2 + days? Is the half fare card prices more practical than the BOP 3 day pass for these trips? Is it practical to consider visits to Grindelwald First, or perhaps Schynige Platte? What would be a realistic and time efficient way to combine these excursions? Should the potential number of summer travelers be a large consideration? What are we missing or need to seriously consider in planning for this short visit?

Posted by
20093 posts

If you are getting Half Fare Cards, you will get a 72 CHF discount on the the 3-day BORP. The BORP will include the Maennlichen-Grindelwald-First. It also gets you to Eigergletcher for the trip to Jungfraujoch. No help for Schilthorn above Muerren, it is half fare with either one.

Posted by
415 posts

Since you will be on a lake in Luzern I’d probably put Lake Brienz low on the priority list since you have a big list for the mountains. You’ll see it from the train coming from Luzern.

You could do Schynigge Platte on your entrance day if you want. Store your luggage at Wilderswil and do Schynigge Platte for a half day, then continue on to Lauterbrunnen and up to Wengen for dinner. You could also do Brienzer Rothorn + Lake Brienz Boat Ride on your way in, but it would be a longer day and a bit more logistics (storing luggage at Brienz + carrying it with you on the boat). The Brienzer Rothorn sells out usually a few days in advance in August because it’s such a small train, so you have to take a risk that the weather will be ok. Schynigge Platte won’t sell out and I think it’s probably a better choice for your short trip.

1 full day - Wengen > Mannlichen > Walk to Kleine Scheidegg > Jungfraujoch > optional to ride the Eiger Express down to Grindelwald if you still have time to possibly do First, but I wouldn’t rush for that. Mannlichen + Jungfraujoch is plenty for a day.

1 day - Wengen > Lauterbrunnen > Stechelberg > Schilthorn > Birg > Murren (Walk around the village) > Grutschalp > Lauterbrunnen > Wengen

It will be very crowded in August. Prepare for big lines at First, Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, the cable car /train between Murren/Grutschalp & Lauterbrunnen, etc. I personally wouldn’t prioritize Jungfraujoch & First in August, it’s a zoo, but if those spots are really important to you, just know that it’s going to be running with the herd and you’ll want to reserve your spot on the Jungfraujoch train once you know the weather is looking ok.

Posted by
95 posts

Is there an advantage of the Berner Oberland Pass vrs just the half fare card for these trips? Are reservations recommended for any of the Berner Oberland excursions?

Posted by
20093 posts

Middle of August you might find it useful to reserve seats for the trip to the Jungfraujoch, but only buy before you have confirmed that the weather will be favorable when you go.

Posted by
95 posts

It seems to be difficult to compare, (when using Wengen as our starting location), the half fare card fees vrs purchasing the BOP for 2.5 days. Where would I find the prices for individual trips in the Berner Oberland Area? I only find a few basic prices from Interlaken Ost. Also, if the BOP is more economical for these trips: Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn and Männlichen exursions, when am I advised to purchase the passes? Does the convenience of the BOP offset the additional fee, or is purchasing individual tickets as needed not a huge inconvenience?

Posted by
415 posts

If your main plan is...
1/2 day - Luzern > Schynigge Platte > Wengen
with BO pass, this day would be 100% "free"
with just HFC, around 57 chf
1 day - Wengen/Mannlichen/Jungfraujoch/possibly Grindelwald First
with BO pass, everything free + 50% off Jungfraujoch - so around 83 chf
with just HFC - somewhere around 115 chf or around 160 chf if you also add in First
1 day - Wengen/Schilthorn/Murren
with BO pass, everything free + 50% off Schilthorn - so around 52 chf
with just HFC - somewhere around 72 chf

So with that itinerary, BO pass is saving you somewhere around 150 chf and it costs 168 chf with the HFC, so you're talking about maybe a 10 chf difference for the convenience of hopping on/off without having to purchase tickets except for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. So pending how much you're in Switzerland before/afterwards, it would be a no brainer to me to do the Half Fare card + the 3 day BO pass. If you plan to not do First on that Jungfraujoch day, then it starts to become a 50 chf + per person convenience charge. All in all, unless you're on an extremely tight budget, you're analyzing the difference of a couple hundred dollars. For a trip to Switzerland, that's going to be a very small line item :)

Posted by
95 posts

We thank both Sam and Wanderweg for your kind and helpful responses. We will now be able to make informed, practical, and efficient decisions. With utilizing your help, we will enjoy our 2.5 days in Wengen and Berner Oberland area.