Please sign in to post.

Berner Oberland Hiking

Hello,

I'll be in the Berner Oberland area in a few weeks. I'll have four solid days to spend hiking there.

I'd love some feedback on the hiking front:

1. I plan to do the Via Ferrata. For those who have done this...is it pretty treacherous? Or does it feel doable for an experienced hiker?

2. What are some of your other favorite hikes in the region? (I have been there once before, but only for a short stay, so I didn't get to do much hiking).

Thank you!

Posted by
34 posts
  1. The Via Ferrata isn't too treacherous. Rick Steves did it. https://blog.ricksteves.com/blog/via-ferrata-—-scared-silly-on-the-iron-cableway-from-murren-to-gimmelwald/

2. If you're experienced I love recommending the hike up the Schilthorn and then coming down via cable car. One of the best hikes I've ever done. AllTrails has a route map.

Theres also some beauties off the beaten path, especially once you get on the higher elevation trails. Lots of people do the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike, which is outstanding, but you could continue on up to the Eiger Glacier station. I did that and there was hardly a soul around, which was great because I came across a beautiful herd of Ibex. https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/kleine-scheidegg/jungfrau-eiger-walk/

Also the hike out to Oberhornsee is a beauty. Hike #4: http://www.gimmelwald.ch/e/activities/summer/hiking.htm#hike4

Posted by
2 posts

I took the Murren via Ferrata a few years ago, while still in my 50's, and not in particularly great shape. I do have some small hiking experience, and decades ago took a rock climbing class, so I have a familiarity with ropes and harness.
I loved it. And it scared the pants off of me. And I would do it again tomorrow.
It is mostly downhill, and follows some ladder routes. There are some VERY thrilling sections where the exposure over the cliffs is 900 meters/ 3000 feet. Straight down.
You remain clipped onto the (heavy) guide wire with two lanyards that have some fall arresting built it. But make no mistake, slipping and falling and hanging there waiting for help would be a very uncomfortable experience. I went alone, and this was always in the back of my mind. There was a little traffic, including some super hiker who went by me at a trot. When you rent the gear they will take note of your departure and expected return, so there is at least SOMEONE to raise an alarm.
And I say I am not in great shape. I can walk and I can hike and I have no injuries to worry about. But I was beat and sore for days after. Those who exercise a little bit will not have the same problem.
But you say you are an experienced hiker? Then this is the best way to get areal mountaineering taste, without the time and financial commitment.
Do it!

Posted by
16028 posts

My husband did the via Ferrara last summer and absolutely loved it. He went with the guided group and would recommend that. I did not go as I could not handle the exposure.

My favorite hike in the area is the Panoramaweg from Schynige Platte to First ( the gondola in Grindelwald). You follow the ridge that separates the Brienzersee from the Grindelwald Valley, with views out to either side at various times.

The Eiger North Face trail is also good. And last summer we hiked the other North Face trail above Mürren, starting at Allmendhubel and walking down to Mürren. There exhibits along the way explaining the mountaineering history and first ascents of each peak across the valley.

And one I have always wanted to do but haven't managed the time for (yet) is the hike to Oberhornsee from Stechelberg.