Please sign in to post.

Berner Oberland

We have four nights here. Your thoughts please on Murren or Gimewald for a home base and how to get there. We are travelling by car.

Posted by
1803 posts

Or park in Stechelberg and ride the gondola up from there. First stop is Gimmelwald and you transfer to another gondola for Murren. I have stayed in Murren, Gimmelwald is really small, seemed to have more limited selection of restaurants.

Posted by
1036 posts

We parked in Stechelberg. Large, cheap car park at the base of the Schilthornbahn. You can also park in Lauterbrunnen at the train station, but we did it the other way.

Definitely stay in Murren. More to do, more central to the trails and public transport options, better views (higher up).

Posted by
1036 posts

The Swiss train/cable car system is great!

It is. But very expensive! You are better off to drive if there are two or more of you, plus you get the freedom to go to places not well served by rail (Like Trummelbach Falls in the Berner Oberland), and the freedom to stop when you see something interesting.

Posted by
11317 posts

plus you get the freedom to go to places not well served by rail (Like Trummelbach Falls in the Berner Oberland),

The Post Bus serves the Falls.

But very expensive!

There are passes that help make the transportation more accessible. The Berner Oberland Regional Pass is perfect for someone spending a few days in the Muerren area. It allows you to ride without limit on most lifts, trains, and buses, with a surcharge for the Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch. We always find it a terrific value.

Posted by
61 posts

Murren, for sure! I loved walking around Gimmelwald, but it was a bit too small and sleepy for me to want to stay there. I found that Murren had more to offer in terms of restaurants and Alpine views (it's a bit higher up in the Alps).

Posted by
8443 posts

Read RS's description of Gimmelwald carefully. Yes, its beautiful and peaceful, but there is practically nothing there as far as facilities, so you'll likely be going up the short distance to Mürren for meals or buying food all the time anyway.

Posted by
3 posts

Can you drive to Murren? We will have a car and wondering where the best place to stay with a car. (Grindelwald, Lauterbruuen, Murren). Not too much a a sleepy town.....
We of course will visit some of the traffic free villages but would rather drive to our accommodations and be able to have the car at our disposal for other touring.

Posted by
8889 posts

@mmottle, No, Mürren is car free, as is Wengen and Gimmelwald (which is really just an extension on Mürren). You have to leave your car in paid parking in the bottom of the valley in Lauterbrunnen.

If you want somewhere that is not to sleepy, I suggest Grindelwald in the next valley.
You can see how all these places fit together in this "map" here: https://www.regionalpass-berneroberland.ch/assets/karte-und-partner/Regionalpass-Panoramakarte-2017.pdf

Posted by
1371 posts

We visited for 4 nights in July 2017. Before our trip I researched staying in Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Gimmelwald, Murren and Wengen and decided on Wengen because it was centrally located and up on the mountain. During our trip we visited each town and discovered Wengen also had the best restaurant, shopping, hotel, entertainment district (Grindelwald's is larger but not as charming). We made the right choice with Wengen.