Please sign in to post.

Bern to Zurich Airport for 0700 Flight

We have a 0700 flight out of Zurich at the end of our tour and we are scheduled to be in Bern the night before. Any recommendations on taking a train VERY early from Bern to the Zurich airport, or for a one-night stay near the Zurich airport? Experiences of fellow travelers who have done one or the other are appreciated!

Posted by
2672 posts

Looks like the earliest trains from Bern are around 4 am, getting you to the airport just before 6am. that is not enough time for you 7 am flight. So, I’d suggest staying in Zurich for that last night.

Posted by
156 posts

Joanne,

I will start by staying I always prefer to stay near the airport on the last night before flying home. So I can only comment on that. I don't consider myself a worrier but I want to keep things simple and plan as best I can for a minimum potential of things going awry.

My husband and I stayed the night before our May 11, a.m. flight out of Zurich at the hotel Ibis Budget Zurich airport in Glattbrugg. There is a tram stop located across the street from the hotel which made it very convenient. There was a ticket machine at the stop. It wasn't working the morning we took the tram to the airport. So my husband took a pic of the malfunctioning machine in case there was an official checking tickets on the tram (there wasn't). The price was reasonable. I'm sorry I can't recall what we paid. Our reservation price included the ability to cancel and breakfast. The breakfast buffet started early and was much better than expected. I know your flight is very early so breakfast may not be served as early as you would need it to be. The hotel room was nicer than expected. It was small and basic but all we needed to do was shower and repack a few things. And sleep. We took the tram into Oerlikon for dinner using the last day of our Swiss Travel Pass for the fare. I think there was a pizza place nearby but my husband wanted something besides pizza. This was our first time staying at a Ibis Budget hotel. We would choose it again. There is only one tram stop before the stop you need at the airport. You can check the SBB app for the earliest tram departure from the stop by the hotel. And the hotel can tell you what time the breakfast buffet opens. We arrived at the airport to discover check-in counters didn't open for another hour. Being early never bothers me. We don't mind a budget hotel for the last night. We stayed in more expensive places during the trip. Relatively speaking that is. We are both frugal.

We have stayed at the Ibis hotel in Oerlikon a few times in the past. It is also a nice place and closer to choices for dinner. My understanding is they no longer have a shuttle service to the airport. Getting to the airport would require walking to the nearby bus stop, taking the bus to the train station in Oerlikon and taking the train to the airport, or a cab or a private driver service.

What ever you decide to do I hope you have a fantastic trip and find a good place to stay the last night.

Traveler Girl

Posted by
7 posts

I agree with the recommendation to stay at or near the Zurich airport prior to your flight the next morning given your early morning flight. In July I will be in Bern at the end of an RS tour as well. However, my flight to SFO is at 1:00pm which provides more than enough time to take the train from Bern to the Zurich airport that morning with plenty of time. You don't have that option.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, this is excellent advice. I have booked us into a Zurich airport hotel for that night to ensure we can get to the airport in time.