Please sign in to post.

Bern

Taking a day train trip to Bern….any ideas of things we don’t need to miss or places we need to eat? Thank you!

Posted by
6285 posts

Depends on what you like. We did a day trip to Bern and really enjoyed ourselves. We walked the town looking for all the water fountains. We went up into the clock tower. I think we did a walking tour from a travel guide (RS or eyewitness travel??) We took a look at the parliament and went into the churches. There is a small zoo and the Paul Klee art museum. One of my girls is interested in physics and we went to the Einstein museum inside the larger history museum. You can also visit Einstein's house.

Posted by
1097 posts

Most of what you want to see is in the old town. Walk east from the station until you hit the river, and everything will be in that pedestrian friendly old town. Top draws in this area are the Zytglogge (think giant Swiss cuckoo clock) and Fraumunster (cathedral), but just the whole area is nice. Just across the end of the peninsula is the Barengraben (commonly called a bear pit, but lately has been well upgraded to more like a small zoo). Just across the south of the peninsula is the Bernhisches Historisches Museum / Einstein Museum.

Bern is my favourite city in Switzerland. Enjoy!

Posted by
209 posts

Jane,

When in Bern we always enjoy a meal at the Alte Tramdepot located just across the river near the bear area. In fact, last year we landed in Zurich and took the train to Nyon, making a stop in Bern just to have lunch at the Alte Tram Depot. If the weather is favorable we prefer to eat outside. Last year in late April it was too cool and windy to eat outside so we sat inside which was fine but a different experience. The food has been consistently delicious. We always fine it a relaxing experience to dine there.

I wish you a wonderful trip.

Traveler Girl

Posted by
54 posts

I went to Bern yesterday for a few hours. I visited the old town and Bern Minster. I think it's worth the money to climb up to the top of the Minster to see the full view of Bern.