Please sign in to post.

Bellinzona to Zurich

We will be leaving Bellinzona on 12/5 and have a flight out of Zurrich on 12/9 in the morning. We are trying to decide if we want to just go straight to zurich and do day trips from there or if we should stop in lucerne for a night and then head to Zurrich...or if there is a better in between location.

We would like to go to Lichtenstein - some towns we would possibly like to visit - Balzers & Vaduz
We also like the idea of a day trip to stein am rein and seeing the rein falls.
We would love to visit a Christmas market or two...

We welcome any suggestions or must see locations between Bellinzona and Zurrich...

Thanks-

Posted by
20110 posts

I think your best bet is to take one of the direct trains to Luzern and spend at least 2 nights there. More day trip opportunities from there, as well as a great Christmas market. Then to Zurich for 2 nights, which also has big Christmas markets, including one inside of the main train station. From Zurich it is an easy half day trip to the Rhein Falls and back.

I'll try to talk you out of Liechtenstein as there is really nothing there. It is an indistinct section of what is essentially Switzerland. The only reason to visit to to check a box and move on. But if you really want to go, take the 171 Postbus from Bellinzona to Chur, then train to Sargans, then the 11 Postbus, which passes through Balzers and Vaduz.

Schedules at https://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/pages/fahrplan/fahrplan.xhtml

Posted by
1671 posts

I once spend a few days in Buchs, just across the Rhine from Liechtenstein. I was there for Hilti, a major Liechtenstein based company that is so big it no longer physically fits in the country. Hence a lot of it is in Buchs nowadays.

Anyway, the joke in Buchs is that Buchs is the most boring place in Switzerland, and that is only due to Liechtenstein not being in Switzerland. Otherwise that would be the most boring place in Switzerland. As they saying goes: The place is "so boring they take the sidewalks in at night".

Posted by
20110 posts

Ah Hilti. Even here in the States, when you need to drill a hole through concrete, "Get me the Hilti!"