My mom and I have 2 days in Basel, after our Rhine River Cruise. It was recommended we go to Colmar or Zurich for 1 of those days, for a day excursion. Can anyone recommend? Or, are there any day tours in Basel we should consider instead? Thank you!
Definitely spend one day in Basel, It is a lovely city for wandering around and getting lost in back lanes that have not change in 500 years (I am not exaggerating).
Below is my notes on Basel, which I wrote for a similar question.
When you check in to your hotel, you will be given a pass for free public transport in Basel for the duration of your stay.
If you want your second day somewhere else, options are Colmar or Luzern (old town + lake), or go up a snow topped mountain (Titlis: https://www.titlis.ch/en ), not Zürich.
Things to do in Basel.
It is a city for wandering around. The city centre is car-free. Either side of the main shopping streets there are old lanes, where you can get lost and it is impossible to tell which century you are in.
The highest point is the Münster (Minster = Cathedral) on Münsterplatz.
- This website has some 360° panoramas. On the right side there is a menu, scroll down and click on "Münsterplatz": https://www.basel.com/en/360
- Then select "Pfalz" on the menu. This is a lookout point at the back of the cathedral, overlooking the river.
- Then take one of the ferries across the river. Website with photos: https://www.basel.com/en/Media/Attractions/Ferries
- Then walk along the riverside (click for photo)
- Then cross back over and get totally lost in the back lanes (click photo 1) (photo 2, there are many of these fountains, they all have drinking water.)
- Finally find a café for a well deserved break (click for photo of my favourite café).
The tourist office has leaflets about signposted walks you can take.
It is also a city for museums. There are over 30, starting with the Kunstmuseum (conventional Art museum) and the Fondation Beyeler (20th century Art). Both recommended.